Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so im 19 and a girl and i love sport bikes but im sooo torn. I am looking to buy a Kawasaki Ninja a 250 since i wiegh like 100lbs. My ex boyfriend taught me how to "ride" his Honda CBR600 never alone, but i learned about all the gears and how to do things properly, but i was a little sketchy and then his ex girlfriend came into town and decided to take a ride, but not on his bike if you know what i mean, so now i have no teacher and a strong desire to learn. I want to learn before i make the commitment of buying a bike anyone have pointers or want to teach me. I live in orlando, (altamonte area) and i can easily be contacted on AIM at Kirbyemulator. Also if there are any females with suggestions on better gear that would be platinum. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should take a rider safty course(www.msf-usa.org). These classes are very good to take even if you already know the basics. The 250 and 500 are both great bikes, either would be a good bike for you(if you handled the 600 good and liked the feel of it then i would go for the 500).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Aruiz,

I'm in NC. If I were closer I'd be willing to help. I know this sounds stupid, but ride a bicycle for a few weeks if you haven't in a while. This will help you re-learn balance and leaning in turns. While the weight isn't no where near the same, at least you will get the hang of leaning and balance again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I do SO wish you were in Minnesota.

A good rider can handle any bike. It doesn't matter that you're a girl, or 19, or 100 pounds. What matters is that you are in control of the bike, and not the other way around. You could drive a 600 pound bike if you know what you're doing. Which leads me to . . .

Take the safety course. It is a great education for people who've never been on a bike, and it's a great education for experienced riders. Everyone has something to learn. They will talk about gear, and you can talk to people there about different bikes.

Take the safety course before you buy a bike. You've probably been eyeing the dealerships and classified ads. You're going to see a bike that looks perfect for you. Don't buy it. Take the course first.

The Ninja 250 is a great bike. It's very light (304 lbs dry), so you'll have an easier time with it if it starts to lean over. And it will be easier to pick up after it falls over. Plus they are cheap new and dirt cheap used. And insurance is cheap for them, too. You'll save so much money on the bike that you can spend all you want on gear. Which leads me to . . .

Get good gear. Everyone knows you need a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots.

If you forget everything else I say, remember this one word: "leather." Young girls (okay, 19 is young to me) have sexy, soft, beautiful skin. Road rash really ruins the moment, if you know what I mean. Chopped up skin looks bad enough on a guy. Don't let it happen to you. It would make me cry.

In Orlando you probably want perforated leather, because it's so stinking hot down there. I was there in April and it was hot enough then for this Minnesota boy.

A good leather jacket and pants will cost you a lot of money. Spend the money. If you don't have the money for the leather yet, don't buy the bike. I'll catch some flak for that statement, but that's my advice. If you can afford the jacket, but not the pants, don't buy the bike. How do you think your gorgeous legs are going to look after you grind one of them on the asphalt? Get the leather.

I'll get off my soapbox now. You can call me a male chauvinist pig if you want to, but you girls are so good looking I just hate to let anything interfere with that. Now a 19 year old girl on a sportbike, and wearing leather . . . ooo, ooo, OW! That's hot!
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RIDER UP

GIRL, get your leathers first, and don't wear anything nylon unless you want to look like the bottom of an iron after it has melted some. Curt said it right! I second the motion: that Curt has put into place, word for word.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think that most of the people on the board would agree to take the saftey course first... Not only will it re teach you to ride again but it will give you the confidence to get back on the saddle again...

You can do it... If I were you I would start out on the 250 its a great bike to start on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

i appreciate all the advice but really boys, i live in FL do you know how hot it is here 100* during the day i would die if i wore leathers all the time i have some good textile gear from Joe Rocket and a nice Arai helmet i cant do the glove thing so i hope my hands dont hit the ground :) and as for boots, i have these Killer leather boots that are just rawr. and i own a pair of Puma Racecats which are specifically designed for motosports. keep the advice coming.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: thanks guys

aruiz014 said:
i appreciate all the advice but really boys, i live in FL do you know how hot it is here 100* during the day i would die if i wore leathers all the time i have some good textile gear from Joe Rocket and a nice Arai helmet i cant do the glove thing so i hope my hands dont hit the ground :) and as for boots, i have these Killer leather boots that are just rawr. and i own a pair of Puma Racecats which are specifically designed for motosports. keep the advice coming.
I'd rather see you in leather, but it's your skin, not mine. The textile stuff is good, too, but it ain't leather. I know it's hot. I was there in April, and that can't be anything like August. And you're so polite, and I would hate for you to leave this great forum because of something I say. So after this next paragraph, I promise I won't get on to you any more. So stick your toes under your seat, 'cause I'm fixin' to step on 'em real good.

NO GLOVES? WHAT ARE YOU, NUTS? HAVE YOU EVER FALLEN OFF A BICYCLE GOING 10 MPH? How about a motorcycle going 60 mph? You think it might be six times as bad at 60? Think again! Kinetic energy is a function of velocity SQUARED, so that fall at 60 mph does THIRTY-SIX TIMES AS MUCH DAMAGE TO YOUR HANDS as a fall at 10 -- and that's assuming that your 304 pound Ninja doesn't get involved in the accident. THIS AIN'T NO BICYCLE HERE! WEAR GLOVES! DO YOU HEAR ME? WEAR GLOVES! Do you want your next boyfriend to hold your hand, or just your stump?

Okay, I'm done -- and a little tired from all the yelling. I won't bother you about it again. So take it easy. Hopefully you'll hear some nice suggestions from the other great guys and gals around here. And welcome to the forum. Be smart, and ride safe.
Curt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
curt, im not easily offended but thanks for the great advice. i feel like i cant handle things properly with gloves on, i'll just have to look for something that works better like little kids dirtbike gear maybe. when i finally get myself up and running i'll make sure i post a pic or two.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ouch :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll wear gloves thank you very much :!: :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
191 Posts
First off before I get on curts soap box. welcome and we dont mean to be harsh.

if its too hot to wear leather i dont ride, Ive seen alot of skin on the road, even brain, its not pretty. It doesnt matter how good of a rider you are etc, the better riders always wear leather because even though they can control the bike things happen. Ive been rear ended by a car before and because of my gear i got up and ran after the sob. Ive also put a guard rail through my chest. if i didnt have the right gear on i wouldnt be here. Stuff happens thats out of your control, just yesterday a drive shaft fell off a truck into my lane going 55, who would ever think that could happen!! Gloves are just as important as a helmet. that thing about not being able to control the bike is bull. Its all in how you learn. I cant ride without gloves, its just weird. Im sure being 100lbs you have small hands but they make small thin gloves., the higher end gloves try to get as thin as possible but give you good wear on asphault kids motocross gloves will do nothing for you on the street. Look for a glove that has a camel skin palm. Ive ridden in 100 degree weather in leathers and yes its hot but when you are moving its not so bad, like i said if its too hot for leathers, dont ride.

sorry for the rant but i hate to see people get hurt for something so stupid. Just think of this. You want a motorcycle so bad but if you fall off going 25mph you may never be able to ride again if you arent wearing gloves, perspective?

For my fiance, I taught her to ride on a nighthwak 250. The best thing we ever did was slow parking lot stuff(just like the msf course) Basically I gave her the msf course because it was all booked up. The msf course is great for anyone, they offer beg. and expert courses. The msf courses focus alot on balance and slow speed manuevers because the are probobly the most beneficial. If you really want to learn and you have the time and money the off road msf course might be good too. Ive learned everything I know from motocross and its made me a way better street rider and I reccomend to anyone that wants to be a better street rider is to learn to be a better dirt rider first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
aruiz014 I am just right down the road from you in Tampa. As for the leathers I see many of you have never ridden in the Florida heat. I wouldn't even imagine trying to wear leathers. Today the temp was about 93 and its only June12. Heat stroke is no joke people and any leather you could even imagine wearing in this heat will provide much less protection than good textile will especialy if it is padded in critical areas. In fact many of the very good non-leather riding jackets (Joe Rocket types) provide better protection then leather. But I digress, aruiz drop me a line and maybe I could help you out some. [email protected]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why not use the same gloves that the CHP motor officers use, the Aerostich Elkskin Roper 445. If they use gloves in South Kali then their is no excuse not to in Florida.

However, if you want you're hands to look like hamburger, just be "cool" and rade bare handed.

D

·
0 Posts
Gloves are a must. Rocks can hit your hands while riding. I find the controls more comfortable to operate wearing gloves anyways. Joe Rocket mesh jackets are great, it seems like everyone has one here in Mississippi. That's what I wear, it's better than just a t-shirt.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can relate to the 90+ degree weather and leathers, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't protect yourself. I hate wearing my tex jacket when it's hot, but I do. VERY TIME I RIDE. As far as gloves, I feel I have more 'touch' while wearing mine, not to mention the bugs, rocks, etc that a bare hand is susceptible to. I bought a pair of Mechanix gloves that are comfortable, have leather where you need it, and are inexpensive. Is this the best pair?. No. But it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts

aruiz014 said:
I gotta say the same thing as everybody else. Gloves are a must, it took me over 6 weeks to get a 5mph road rash healed up on my hands. I know alpinestar makes some awesome gloves specifically for females. www.denniskirk.com is a good place to look for those, as is www.newenough.com

BTW: Where are you at in FL?

·
Registered
88 Posts

Freakinout said:
aruiz014 said:
I gotta say the same thing as everybody else. Gloves are a must, it took me over 6 weeks to get a 5mph road rash healed up on my hands. I know alpinestar makes some awesome gloves specifically for females. www.denniskirk.com is a good place to look for those, as is www.newenough.com

BTW: Where are you at in FL?

Freakin I have to agree with you GLOVES are a MUST.. Out of all the gear that I do not wear a helmet and gloves are a must for me.. I ride through a buch of states that helmets are not required and i think those people are flat out nuts... I took my helmet off for 5 min and put it right back on.. Not only did I hate the feeling of not having a halmet on but just think of the dangers.. And as far as gloves go i think the picture above says it best...

·
Registered
458 Posts

aruiz014 said:
i appreciate all the advice but really boys, i live in FL do you know how hot it is here 100* during the day i would die if i wore leathers all the time
I know you have heard it many times but, WEAR GLOVES. I always do and it gets really hot in Phoenix. I had a friend do a 10 mph low side with no gloves on and it ripped his hand up pretty good.

I think the trick to the gloves is to get a pair that are the right length for your fingers. You may have to shop around. Unless you get lucky, you will probably be unhappy with the fit of something you get on the web. Most motorcycle gear items should be bought only if you can try them on.

Textile gear can be pretty good, especially of it is armored in the shoulders, elbows, and back. Joe Rocket makes some pretty decent stuff. I have one of their Sante Fe jackets that I use quite often. It is a combination of textile on the body and perfed leather on the shoulders and arms.

I also agree with those that have said to take the MSF course. You will learn a lot. They teach defensive riding techniques that you may not hear from riders who haven't taken the course.

The only advice that I would give you on a motrocycle, that others haven't mentioned, is that you may want to make sure that your feet are something close to flat footed when you are stopped. It a real pain to stop and lean over and then have to hoist the bike up to get going again. Imagine if you got stuck in traffic sometime. Talk about getting hot. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
A little bit of warmth is WORTH it to save your hide! GEAR is #1. I would love to teach you stuff but I'm in Nebraska. It gets to about 110 here but I NEVER ride w/o my gear. Some times it's a bit uncomfortabe but only a temporary thing (unlike road rash).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts