Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding on my lunch hour today----I get behind a Ford 4x4 pick up with a topper on it.

We are in the left turn lane--facing downhill---the gal driving the truck misses her light---instead of going on through the light----she starts backing up---I'm a sitting duck there. On the downhill there's no way I'm backing the bike up---frantically beeping my horn she stops within inches of my front wheel.

I wouldn't have got hurt---but was sitting there---scared s--tless my brand new bike was going to be trashed---the butterflies went away after about a half hour.

I guarantee that won't happen to me again. Leave a good amout of space---cause there's no tellin what the fool in front of you is going to do.

Lesson for the day.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SLACK

Sometimes leaving enough room behind so tha tyou can go around eithr side of the vehicle is a great thing to do. I have personally been in the same situation, even had a vehicle locked it's brakes coming up behind me! SCARED? Barely enough word to describe it. IF you pull over the centerline and the truck would have ran over you, it would have been your fault, and if you tried to go around on the right (prefered you may have caused an accident and you still are at fault. I prefer to pull over the centerline, doing a rabbit throttle screaming, smoking rear tire and toss a tennis ball at the windshield. I'm getting to old for the tennis ball routine, as someone could then turn their road rage into running over me, but I would have tried the rabbit jump in front and blocked her and hte truck, till the light changed, and then left her in the intersection, when I left it. Lesson learned though...don't hesitate, do something and "what if..." you definately need to have a plan...Another thing...now that you know how INefective your horn is...use it and feed another wire to feed a relay for another set of either FIAMM freeway blasters, or a Marine (boat) 12 Volt horn. A magazine that I recently read sugggested even using a 6Volt horn, because it will not self destruct unless you just hold it on for a long time. My last bike had Fiamm horns (Hi and Low) and I just ran power through a fuse to the relay and a ground to each of themfrom the relay and used the .2Amp fuse between the existing horn connection and the wire that I squashed in with it to the relay. Great lesson learned, something some of the people have not been in the situation yet...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
OmahaRider said:
When riding on my lunch hour today----I get behind a Ford 4x4 pick up with a topper on it.

We are in the left turn lane--facing downhill---the gal driving the truck misses her light---instead of going on through the light----she starts backing up---I'm a sitting duck there. On the downhill there's no way I'm backing the bike up---frantically beeping my horn she stops within inches of my front wheel.

I wouldn't have got hurt---but was sitting there---scared s--tless my brand new bike was going to be trashed---the butterflies went away after about a half hour.

I guarantee that won't happen to me again. Leave a good amout of space---cause there's no tellin what the fool in front of you is going to do.

Lesson for the day.
**** woman drivers...... :wink: :roll: :wink:

Yes keep your distance, and I think it helps for the person to see you better too, think about what you would like that biker to be if you were in the car....just something to think about!!
:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
For some reason I always have problems riding my bike like it's a car. I'm always trying to remind myself to ride my bike like a bike. I'll get it one of these days. **** it's hard riding in NY! 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
EXACTLY!

I know waht you mean! When I rode into Queens, Queens Village, N.Y. from Newport, R.I. on some wekends to visit some friends it was like I was the only one wearing a space outfit...people would just stop and stare. It was a wierd experience, and for some reason They never gave me the right of way...It is difficult to ride when you have to concentrate so much on everything all around you all the time...stay healthy, Imposter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts