Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting my new motorcycle soon. I've been wearing glasses my whole life and I am considering getting contact lenses. (I'll be wearing a full-face helmet) For those of you that do wear contacts? how do they affect your riding? Should I stick to glasses when riding?

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Contacts dry out a little more when riding. Mostly wear glasses, but sometimes contacts. Depends how long a ride.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I always wore contacts, never glasses. (I couldn't see well with my glasses.) With a full-face helmet, I never had problems with drying. I had lasik year before last, though, and now I don't have to wear either one. :)

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Depends what kind of contacts you have. I wear rigid "hard" contacts and even with a full face have to wear some kind of close fitting glasses. Without them just the slight breeze coming up in the chin area will dry my eyes out quickly. The few times I've worn a 1/2 helmet I've had to wear goggles.

Jukief--I wish I could have Lasik or anything like that done, but unfortunately I'm not a candidate. And I can't wear prescription glasses anymore either. I'm just stuck wear I'm at.

·
Back in traffic
675 Posts
I never had a problem with contacts will riding, but usually ended up wearing sunglasses anyways. Like Julie I had the laser surgery so nothing for me either.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, you haven't worn cotacts before? If I were you, I'd wear the contacts for a couple of weeks before trying them on while riding. 20 years ago when I first wore contacts, it took my eyes a couple of weeks to get used to them; my eyes would get dry so I would have to use the eye drops. You don't want to have dry contacts on the freeway if you're still getting accustomed to them...freeway riding isn't exactly an optimal situation to use eye drops in.

I've worn glasses a few times for very short rides--not a big deal. But my preference is definitely to wear contacts when riding. When commuting to-and-from work, I keep spare contacts, solution and container in my backpack along with an old pair of glasses for back up. If I'm doing the twisties, I transfer that zip-lock bag into my small tank bag.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've worn glasses for the last 45 years I tried contacts about 20 years ago but I had a problem with dry eye so had to quit them. I wear glasses with the transition lens, change from clear to dark, and a FF helmet

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I've worn glasses for the last 45 years I tried contacts about 20 years ago but I had a problem with dry eye so had to quit them. I wear glasses with the transition lens, change from clear to dark, and a FF helmet
I just ordered my first pair of glasses. I've been in denial for too long. Not looking forward to the routine of glasses off, ff helmet on, glasses on (reverse to take off helmet), but hopefully will get used to it soon. And at least now I'll be able to read street signs! :eek: I also opted for the transitional lenses so I can just leave my clear visor on now and not have to switch to the tinted one.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I wear glasses when riding, they dont really get in the way and they can offer come protection (not much but some) from road debri if you were to ride with the shield up. Personally, Ive tried the contact thing and hated it. But thats just me. It is really up to you. I would go for a ride with glasses, and then go for another ride with contacts and see what you think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear contacts most of the time, including when riding. I have better peripheral vision with the contacts then with glasses, but that just might be me.

When I firsdt started wearing contcts, tt did take my eyes a while to get used to them, and initially, it seemed to take forever to get them in, so I would recommend waiting until your eyes are used to the contacts before riding with them.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
used to wear contacts but had PRK in 2000. Wife had LASIK in 2004. Awesome diff over glasses or contacts!!!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
On the rare occasion that I'm wearing a FF, I will sometimes wear my glasses. But, I prefer my contacts as I have a German halfy and goggles. :)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Contacts .... the only way to go .... at least for me.
I have been wearing for 2 years, before that glasses for 16 years.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I've never tried contacts at all. I just can't stand trying to touch my eyeballs everytime. Eyeglasses and FF on this end.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Contacts for me, wearing sunglasses with the foam around the lenses I don't have a problem with dry eyes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have soft contacts and wear them all the time. Right now I wear a FF and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Chris, go for the contact lenses, but get used to them first. I've had both, but I can't wear contacts anymore, so, it's glasses for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts