Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all...sorry for my poor command of the english language...
I would like to get information in order to try and solve a big problem I am experiencing with my brand new ER5 (Twister 500). (You may say: "Why don't you go and ask the seller?" I did, sigh! He says everything is ok, that it's "normal". So, just before sueing him, I want to try and understand more...).
The story is that since a few days (the bike has now 4500 km), when starting the engine (cold, after a night, for instance) and selecting the first gear, the clutch doesn't work at all: the bike bumps on as if I hadn't pulled the clutch lever. After this, the clutch un-glues and works perfectly.
The seller's meccanic tried adjusting the clutch cable but this didn't solve the problem. Some people says I should try and change the oil (I don't actually know which one was used in the occasion of last change) and that thsi should fix the clutch glueing problem.

What can I do, my friends?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ehm...

I mean that the clutch begins working fine, that when the left lever is pulled I can move the gear selector without bumping onward.
To be clearer, the problem exists only the first time you put the first gear (engine cold). After that moment (and after the first and only bumping-on) everything works fine. As long as I can understand, the disks get glued when the oil is cold and unglue soon after the first time you put the gear.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: ehm...

vespaindiana said:
I mean that the clutch begins working fine, that when the left lever is pulled I can move the gear selector without bumping onward.
To be clearer, the problem exists only the first time you put the first gear (engine cold). After that moment (and after the first and only bumping-on) everything works fine. As long as I can understand, the disks get glued when the oil is cold and unglue soon after the first time you put the gear.

Thanks
Maybe try and put it into 1st while its stopped (engine off), and rock it a few times back and forth....just a suggestion. Sticking clutch plates in motorcycles isn't uncommon on a cold engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ehm...

I already do it, but I think it shouldn't happen. I mean, I don't think it's good for the gears (nor for me). It had never happened to me with any other bike I previously owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts

vespaindiana said:
I already do it, but I think it shouldn't happen. I mean, I don't think it's good for the gears (nor for me). It had never happened to me with any other bike I previously owned.
When was the oil last changed, and what grade was it?

You may ask the seller, and if he doesnt know...change it with whatever your owners manual calls for....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

dboogie2288 said:
vespaindiana said:
When was the oil last changed, and what grade was it?

You may ask the seller, and if he doesnt know...change it with whatever your owners manual calls for....
I will, my friend!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had bought

I had bought a bike one time that the clutch was the same way...I had to use lighter oil than the manual said to use. I was afraid to do it because I didn't want it to leak. after I ran the thin oil for a couple of months in hte winter I was able to go back to the recommended oil in hte summer. I think because it was a new clutch it was a problem...let us know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: I had bought

ZX-2R said:
I had bought a bike one time that the clutch was the same way...I had to use lighter oil than the manual said to use. I was afraid to do it because I didn't want it to leak. after I ran the thin oil for a couple of months in hte winter I was able to go back to the recommended oil in hte summer. I think because it was a new clutch it was a problem...let us know
I will. I will get the oil changed the next week and we will see.

Cheers,
Luca

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its because your bike sets and the oil runs off the clutch plates at night. Even though you warm your motor oil doesn't grease the clutch. Someone told me that if you use synthetic oil after the 1st 3k miles it will help that problem.

Someone else might want to chime in though, i'm not exactly the mechanic type, this is just 2nd hand info.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SERIOUS CLUTCH GLUING

I once bought a Yamaha 250 that had been in storage for 3 years and it was literally in boxes. the tach, speedometer and all things that could be taken of were placed in boxes. turn signals, headlight, tail light..everything. the bike clutch was stuck. I used an old farmers trick (I live on a farm) when you get a motor that is full of crud that needs cleaning, or you have a clutch in your situation, remove the oil, fill to the appropriate amount of diesel oil and ride it and keep trying to use the clutch till it is working freely, the way that it is supposed to work. IT should respond within 3 or 4 10 minute rides, if not continue just a little longer... It will also clean out everything in your engine, then immediately drain the crud and filter and fill it with a thin, inexpensive oil and ride it for a week or so, then change the filter and oil to a synthetic oil and you will not have any more clutch problems. I do not like telling people about this, as it could ruin a machine if you are not very careful. Diesel fuel is an oil based product but it is very thin. YOu can also use a very little diesel in your fuel tank to keep the top end lubricated and it will burn and clean out all of the carbon around hte valves, rings piston...and it won't hurt the fuel system at all. it may smoke a little but it won't hurt your bike engine. Sorry I waited so long to give you this advice, usually just thinnner oil will do the problem...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts