Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Going Crazy!!

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  rgrrmg 
#1 ·
OK so I just took the MC safety training class, got my Motorcycle license.
I know my skill level is a major beginner, I want the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 so bad it's driving me crazy. I just know that I can't buy it till I have a job, I actually have the cash for it, but it would really be irresponsible of me to buy it. I keep watching ebay, cycletrader, and craigslist for a bike... guess I should stop that.
Got laid off 8 months ago, sure is tough out there.
Thanks for listening.

#2 ·
That just hurts to hear...it's gotta be tough. I know how badly I wanted to ride a "real" bike after I took the MSF course. Ummm, you know- it *might* end up saving you money having a bike to run around town.....just a thought but you know what your responsibilities are. Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted. :)

#4 ·
Parking lot practice is great, just don't focus on spending all your time in the lot. If you do you will end up like the woman I know in Frankfort, Ky. She has been riding for over 3 years, all she can do "some" parking lot maneuvers but is scared to death of the road. If she rides with anyone she will only run 35-45mph on open highway. And is so petrified she can't even take her hands off the bars for 5 minutes after she stops. And to top this she thinks she is qualified to teach others to ride.
Get to the parking lot, make a few laps weaving in and out of the lined spots, practice controlled straight stops, practice taking off into a turn as if you were turning 90ºonto a street from another street.
After a brief period of time, go into the real world and ride, riding less traveled subdivisions are a great teacher. If you are not totally familiar with the area it will also sharpen your navigation skills.

#5 ·
get the bike that you want and the 500 vulcan is a perfect starter cruiser...
just make sure you factor all expenses in, maintenance, ins etc...when getting a bike and the cost of the protective gear too

#8 ·
Food for thought here. I was offered a 500 (06 model with 6000 miles....dent in the tank) for $850 which I thought was cheap though I didn't need it. I figured I could turn it or toy with it...maybe a bobber. Then the guy sold it for $650. That's just to give you an idea of deals out there.

But here's my suggestion. Look for a nice 800. It would still be a good starter bike plus you wouldn't need to step up to a bigger bike as quick. a female member sold a very nice 800 last year for $2000 if I remember correctly. Also you probably wouldn't lose as much money on a used 800 as you would a 500.

#11 ·
#12 ·
good luck on getting that bike yes it will save money, my 900 is almost paying for itself in gas by me riding to work. My Jeep was only getting 14-16 miles per gallon I am getting a good 45+ on the 900. All I can say though is practice, practice practice. Parking lots are good but get on the real streets, hit the highways it is a shock at first feeling that wind first couple of times you think you will be blown off the bike. But the more you ride the more you appreciate it. Just watch the cagers just keep telling yourself they may not see you.

The funny thing is I like riding so much and the weather here in Central Texas is ok most of the year if I wasn't upside down on my jeep I would sell it and just ride my bike.

#17 ·
Parking lot practice is great, just don't focus on spending all your time in the lot. If you do you will end up like the woman I know in Frankfort, Ky. She has been riding for over 3 years, all she can do "some" parking lot maneuvers but is scared to death of the road. If she rides with anyone she will only run 35-45mph on open highway. And is so petrified she can't even take her hands off the bars for 5 minutes after she stops. And to top this she thinks she is qualified to teach others to ride.
Get to the parking lot, make a few laps weaving in and out of the lined spots, practice controlled straight stops, practice taking off into a turn as if you were turning 90ºonto a street from another street.
After a brief period of time, go into the real world and ride, riding less traveled subdivisions are a great teacher. If you are not totally familiar with the area it will also sharpen your navigation skills.
I have seen some people in Frankfort doing that. looked like a bunch of women wobbling around and around a parking lot

#18 ·
But here's my suggestion. Look for a nice 800. It would still be a good starter bike plus you wouldn't need to step up to a bigger bike as quick. a female member sold a very nice 800 last year for $2000 if I remember correctly. Also you probably wouldn't lose as much money on a used 800 as you would a 500.
I'm gonna have to agree here. Especially if you're a bigger/taller guy. I'm 6'1" and a 500 I sat on was very cramped!

#21 ·
Funny, I have a friend who has 2 bikes he gave me riding gloves, helmet, and I have riding boots...all I need now is the bike!!
I take it that he drew the line at the riding gear?? wouldn't throw in the bike?

#24 ·
But here's my suggestion. Look for a nice 800. It would still be a good starter bike plus you wouldn't need to step up to a bigger bike as quick..
I've got the 800 and I LOVE it. It's my "starter", and I really glad I went for it instead of going with something smaller. Just my $.02 worth :)

Funny, I have a friend who has 2 bikes he gave me riding gloves, helmet, and I have riding boots...all I need now is the bike!!
I take it that he drew the line at the riding gear?? wouldn't throw in the bike?
Any closer to a purchase.....? :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.