Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going To Remove The Rear Pillion Tomorrow. I Know How The Pillion Comes Off, But The Strap Over The Pillion Hmmm? Do You Remove The Allen Screws On The Sides And Does The Whole Assembly Come Out Of The Fender Rails? Also Trying To Figure Out What I Am Going To Replace It With, Either Fender Bib Or More Likely Chrome Curved Fender Rack. Where Can I Find Chrome Studs Or Bolts To Replace The Pillion Bolt? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have been thinking of doing the same thing but I gotta admit I like having that back seat for storage :) It fits my camera equipment perfectly. Cant wait to see pics when its done!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Remove the chrome fender strut covers (your fender won't fall off, the 4 exposed bolts don't hold the fender itself) and you'll find the bolts that hold the brackets that the grab-strap is attached to.

IIRC, removing them "costs" you the helmet lock.

There are currently no curved fender-top luggage racks available for the 1500/1600. A Yamaha part can be modded for the 1500.

The Mustang fender bib looks nice... studded or plain, or you can follow Trikebubble's lead:
He went to the hardware store and got some of those plastic "button" bolt covers. These are 2-piece... a dog-dish like piece with a hole in the middle, and a slightly domed cap that snaps on around the "dog dish".

He painted the domed caps to match his fender, and I think used some regular slotted screws to hold the caps (lower profile than the stock hex-head bolts).

You MAY also be able to find plastic plugs that will fit into the threaded holes... kinda' like the plugs that fit into the heads of the allen screws on "build it yourself" furniture. I'd secure them with a SMALL dab of clear silicone.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip Rich, I didn't even think to remove the strut covers! I was on the cruiser customizing site and they had listed a flat stock curved cover they listed to fit the 1600. AM I wrong or would this be for another bike/model? I like the look of the solo seat but am worried the stock seat won't look right without the pillion. Don't have the funds at the moment and haven't decided which aftermarket solo seat to go with? I'm new to this customizing thing so I am figuring it out as I go. I have managed to remove the billboard looking reflectores from the rear and debadge the kawi decal from the side cover. That and a couple of chrome valve caps are it so far. The wife is still suffering from sticker shock after Santa dropped my new ride off!!!!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The stock seat will look fine, though a Mustang looks a TOUCH nicer because the seat bracket is chrome, and the skirt is a little longer.

I'm not sure what CruiserCustomizing offers... never shopped with them myself and I've heard some not-so-good stories about their in/out of stock status, but they are popular so they must be doing something right.

I think I know the rack you are referring to... haven't seen one in person and I can't find it on CC.
If it's listed as fitting the 1600, then it should work.

Spazz has the studded Mustang bib on his Nomad, and I have a plain Mustang bib that I use when I remove my luggage rack and solo out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts