Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
At your age you a limited to 50cc peds if you live in the UK ...... @ 17 you can get a 125cc....

Once you have passed your test you can get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Where are you at is the first big question. In the US it depends on what state. but reguardless at 16 you'll be limited on motor size. at 17 I believe you can legally ride whatever.

1977 what....?

I recommend a 500cc or smaller for your first bike, they are much more forgiving and cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
michiganarft11 said:
A 250 sounds like a good choice to me. A better choice would be to get a dirt bike. Believe it or not you'll learn the most in dirt.
I actually disagree, moving from dirt bikes into street bikes is an entirely different world. I think your better off with a 250 or 500 if the 250 doesn't please you. Learn how to handle on something forgiving so that you'll be around to upgrade to something bigger.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey! I'm in Minnesota, too (St. Paul). Personally I wouldn't be too crazy about putting a 16 year old on a motorcycle -- even a 250 like mine. But the fact that you're talking about it on a forum shows a certain amout of maturity, and maybe you're ready.

I agree with michiganarft11. Dirt bikes are great, and way more fun than a moped. And even though it's not the same thing as riding a street motorcycle, you can learn many of the same skills (including maintenance), and have a ton of fun doing it.

But if you really need the bike for transportation, then a moped or street bike is what you need. I don't think Minnesota restricts the size of your engine at any age, but I may be wrong about that. I do know that you are required to take the MSF course if you're under 18. It's a good thing to do anyway.

You can get a Minnesota DMV motorcycle manual at http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/DLTraining/DLManual/ManualLangChoice.htm
Curt

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree-although dirt riding is a world apart from street riding-you can easily learn the fundamentals of bike handling and wrenching without getting hurt if you take a few spills
if your wearing good gear. 30mph spill on pavement=hospital,30mph on dirt not near as bad
at 16 its a good place to start :wink:

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forum Darren have fun,we have a great moderator and some really good people here that will always help. bikeaholic, freakinout, unclebob,curt, just to name a few. 8)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Darren884 said:
Hello curt I will be living in st.paul again soon. Do you know where I could get a liscence?
The DVS web page is at http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/index.html. They list all the office locations. I took my written test on University Avenue, and my skills test in Eagan.

The written test was pretty easy -- just common sense stuff. I missed one question about downshifting because I had not ridden a motorcycle before. And I missed a few questions about drinking. But I still passed anyway. The skills test was harder for me. I took it after I had my bike for seven days, and I flunked. The second time I was more comfortable with the bike and I passed. The difference between the two tests is that for the written test they tell you the correct answer right after you answer each question. So you can learn from the written test. The skills test is a big secret, and the instructors won't answer any questions. They use a point system for each skill, but they won't even tell you how many points you have. They just tell you if you pass or fail the test.

Read that manual. It will tell you a lot, and it will help you get ready for both tests.
Curt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts