Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering who everybody thought the best insurance company is for sportbikes cause i talked to prgressive today and they wanted 515$ per month and 6 thousand and something a year theres gotta be a better place then that

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
That sounds unreasonable, more like highway robbery. I use Allstate and pay 38 per month on my big cruiser. I had always heard that progressive had good rates for bikes.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Insurance companies don't like new, young riders on big bikes, so they try to make you shop somewhere else. I'll bet you have some factors hurting you:
1. you're young (and probably a new rider, too)
2. you have a big engine
3. you need full coverage
I don't have those factors, so my insurance is only $80 per year -- are you jealous? Try http://www.geico.com , http://www.statefarm.com and http://www.bike-line.com .

You can't change your age, but you can change the other factors. If you move to a smaller and older bike, you can probably pay cash for it, so you don't need full coverage.
Curt

EDIT: I just read your earlier posts and saw that you got rid of your CBR600, and got a ZX-10R. Insurance is going to be a big part of your life now.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Try out State Farm. I have full coverage on my ZX9R with a $500 deductable for only $66 a month. Like $750 for a year I think. I'm also only 20 and single.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My opinion,that is terribly expensive. I dont know how old you are, probably a new rider, but it still seems like way too much. I am a first year rider on a ZX6, and it costs me 600$ canadian a year. Im 21 yrs old. So I dont know, if I were you,I would shop around before deciding to settle with any company.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Green Knight said:
Try out State Farm. I have full coverage on my ZX9R with a $500 deductable for only $66 a month. Like $750 for a year I think. I'm also only 20 and single.
I am also 20 and single...Do you have any points on your license? I am thinking about getting a 636 or 750 or R6 this fall or next summer and progressive wants 2500 for full coverage or $370 for basic liability, but if i get a bigger bike i want full coverage. That quote did not include medical either...just liability, comp and collision. I have 4 points on my license from 3 speeding tickets with the most recent being over a year old and a comp claim from when I hit a deer with my truck. I did another quote with progressive.com and put nothing in for violations and claims and they still want over 2 G's!!!

I checked out bike-line.com to see what full coverage was for my 500 (progressive wanted somewhere around 1500...i cant remeber to be exact) Well my findings prevented me from even wanting to see what a 600 or 750 would run through them..."Brian Moynihan, your annual BikelinE rate is... $5,834.00 "
When you see that number keep in mind I paid $4650 brand new for my bike!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Goodness! That's an insane amount of money to spend on insurance... I'm with Progressive at $110 per year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just for grins I decided to see how high those premiums can be. So I went to http://www.bike-line.com and entered a 18 year old who loans his ZX-10R to a 16 year old, and he has lots of major violations, including eluding police and license revocation. The premium was $65,000 per year. I think that's their way of saying, "please take your business elsewhere." Interestingly enough, the liability and medical weren't that bad -- about $1,000 and $3,000 if I remember correctly. The big bucks were collision and comprehensive.

It seems like strange math to me. After all, the most damage the kid could possibly do to the bike is to total it, and that's barely $10,000. But medical payments could be many times that much.
Curt

·
Registered
380 Posts
Holy!

:shock:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
r409z said:
Green Knight said:
I am also 20 and single...Do you have any points on your license? I am thinking about getting a 636 or 750 or R6 this fall or next summer and progressive wants 2500 for full coverage or $370 for basic liability, but if i get a bigger bike i want full coverage. That quote did not include medical either...just liability, comp and collision. I have 4 points on my license from 3 speeding tickets with the most recent being over a year old and a comp claim from when I hit a deer with my truck. I did another quote with progressive.com and put nothing in for violations and claims and they still want over 2 G's!!!

I checked out bike-line.com to see what full coverage was for my 500 (progressive wanted somewhere around 1500...i cant remeber to be exact) Well my findings prevented me from even wanting to see what a 600 or 750 would run through them..."Brian Moynihan, your annual BikelinE rate is... $5,834.00 "
When you see that number keep in mind I paid $4650 brand new for my bike!!!
I have no traffic record. The only documented ticket I've gotten was a none moving violation of not having a rear view miror in my dad's truck. Which is stupid IMO. Do we have rear view mirors on our bikes? no, we have side mirors. Does my dad's 18 wheeler have a rear view miror? no, he would be looking at his sleeper if he did. Whatever law maker made that a law needs to be shot. If it doesn't apply to ALL vehicals I don't see the point. Are they going to make me mount a miror on my helmet now? I'll get off the box now.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
I have no traffic record. The only documented ticket I've gotten was a none moving violation of not having a rear view miror in my dad's truck. Which is stupid IMO. Do we have rear view mirors on our bikes? no, we have side mirors. Does my dad's 18 wheeler have a rear view miror? no, he would be looking at his sleeper if he did. Whatever law maker made that a law needs to be shot. If it doesn't apply to ALL vehicals I don't see the point. Are they going to make me mount a miror on my helmet now? I'll get off the box now.
ah, yes we do have rear view mirrors on our bikes , just not in the typical fashion.
and you should have looked into your ticket cause in PA. if you have side mirrors you dont have to have the rear view mirror on the windsheild. :roll:

2F2F- try calling around but you have alot against you. your in florida for one (ive heard nothing but bad about insurance on bikes there), you young etc..
i have been with state farm since i was 16 and they have been the best. ive had other companies but SF is still the tops.
good luck

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STATE FARM

$46.00 year.
If you are i the military you can get insurance from your home of Permanant Record...Where you vote and actually lived...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Green Knight said:
If it doesn't apply to ALL vehicals I don't see the point. Are they going to make me mount a miror on my helmet now? I'll get off the box now.
Um...they once tried that argument...but unfortunately something came up...Seatbelts :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
2f2f said:
hey i was wondering who everybody thought the best insurance company is for sportbikes cause i talked to prgressive today and they wanted 515$ per month and 6 thousand and something a year theres gotta be a better place then that
They figure that you are going to either kill yourself, wreck the bike bad or have it stolen and want to make sure they recoup some of that money before it happens!

I've heard SF has good rates and progressive can be cheap for the riders they want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts