Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and for the past few months I have been reading everything possible on the internet on the 2004 Mean Streak. I have been drooling over this bike. I live in California and have talked to a couple of dealers in the area. I can get a 2004 Mean Streak for 10,999 out the door with possibly a windscreen. Is this a good price? Does this sound like a good deal? I have heard in the past that if you can get a new model year bike for MSRP or lower out the door from a dealer you got a good deal. What do you guys think? Any advise would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you, Tony

·
Registered
605 Posts
I can get it for much less here in CO, but that might just be location. I like to buy 1 year used that way the bugs are out, the resale is much lower than brand new and you don't have to break the sucker in, also some one might have just scared themselves silly and is giving up the bike with only a couple hundred miles and no drops.

But if you have the money for it, buy new if it tickles your fancy.

Stew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got mine for about 1,200 under msrp after shipping from a dealer that does a lot of online orders. Bikeaholic recommended the dealer to me and I can't say it was as smooth as his experience, but well worth it for the price. Let me know if you want some info on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found the following prices (not OTD prices) for new MSs in my area:
2002 MS = $8999
2003 MS = $9499
2004 MS = $9899

I bought the 2004 MS, OTD was $10800, no accessories included. Wanted NEW, and the 2002 had a few bugs which I didn't want to deal with. Passed on the 2003.

Full coverage insurance for the 2002 was $380. Full coverage on the 2004 is $580. Both with Progressive, both brand new. Weird huh?

If you like it already, you'll love it even more when you're cruising down the Blvd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't know which area you're from bushmeal, but he's kind of stuck buying in california because of the strict emission laws. Anyone else from cali that knows more about it should give us some info.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the imformation. I have learned that motorcyles that are driven on public roads are considered "49 state" bikes because California has special emmision requirements. This means that the manufacturers have to add special emmisions equipment to the motorcycles to make them comply with california law. Only California dealers can get california approved bikes from the manufacturers. Therefore it allows CA dealers to sell the bikes at what ever price they choose to with no competition with neighboring states, which explains the high mark-up. The loophole here would be to register the bike in a neighboring state and be able to "ride" it in CA. However, I am not sure if insurance companies would still offer insurance coverage in this case.

For the past few weeks I have been talking to dealers in the area. The absolute lowest price I was able to get was MSRP OTD. I got this offer from Kolbe cycles in Woodland Hills, CA. They are honest guys that stick to their word. I continued to look for a better OTD price. Every other dealer I talked to said that they could not meet nor beat the deal I already had. Most even thought I was lying just to get them to go lower. A few days ago I talked to Cal Coast Cycles in Ventura, CA. The sales guy told me that they would match the deal and possibly beat it by a little. However, when I got to Cal Coast they gave me the old sleazy sales tacktics. After about 30 minutes of talking to the sales guy, the manager came over and told me that they would be loosing money if the gave me the bike for that price. He then asked me "what is the bike worth to you." When I heard that, I just got up and left. They just completely wasted my perfectly good saturday. To think that I drove over an hour to go talk to them. I was pretty heated, but I just walked it off. Anyway, to make a long story short, yesturday I got a blue 2004 Mean Streak from Kolbe cycles for 10,000 plus tax ($825) and title ($175). CA tax is 8.25% where I live. I also got the four year extended warranty for $385 with the awsome help and advise from bikeaholic! Thanks man! Compared to other CA riders, I think I got a pretty good deal. I know I could of waited 5-6 months to try to get a better deal, but even then, most dealers here in CA are selling 03' mean streaks for $9499 plus tax, fees, and dealer prep. Overall I am very happy. I took the bike out last night for my first ride and I can't seem to wipe the big grin off my face. I am a very happy camper now! Thank you Altapowerdaze and bikeaholic for your help and advise.

Tony

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Hope you have many (safe) miles on her :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congratulations!!
Can you post some pics??
I'd love to see them as over here we only have the green one available.
Cheers
Aussie

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

fantastic!!!! tony- glad everything worked out-welcome to the flock :lol:

anyone remember who the blue meanies were? :lol:

several of the riders on here ride those hot rods so follow them guys
they'll have your bank account blown for you know it :lol: :wink:

don't forget your doctor appt. to get that grin removed :wink:

ride safe!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Enjoy the bike. when you start making mods to it keep me informed.
I know how you feel about the grin. Mine started in florida and ended as a smirk in utah when i got home with it. A few weeks later and some new exhaust and now i've got a grin that the chestshire cat would be jealous of. :D Have fun!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My local dealer has a new 2004 Mean Streak:
http://www.cycletrader.com/addetail.html?73507691

The $9595 price is out the door, adding only tax, license and Registration. Lee's sells a lot of bikes, and doesn't add on any fees like dealer prep, document fee, or any of that crap.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just posted some pics of my mean streak on the photo gallery. So far I have added 70 miles since Tues. If you guys would like I can update reviews of my break in period.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

please do!! i'm keeping a running report of my 1600 on here
it will help others knowing what you find as the miles roll up :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts