Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18 and i'm about to buy a 1978 KZ 650 for a mere $300 from www.motolane.com

I'd sure appreciate if anyone could give me info on this wesite, if the're reliable i mean and if this model was decent, or if they had a tendency to develop problems. Also, is this a good starter bike? My dad's been riding Kawisakis and racing them since before i was born, and he says it's "too much bike for me". I take very well to vehicles though. Give me a bit of practice with it and it will be an extension of my body in no time.

Motolane.com says it has low miles and ran good before the carbs were taken off for a rebuild. they were just never put back on. Are these carbs tricky to rebuild? i was going to rebuild them over the winter, about 5 months, which should be PLENTY of time to clean up the bike completly. (i live in minnesota and winter is LONG and just around the corner, unfortunally.)
SHOULD I BUY THIS BIKE OR IS IT A MONEY PIT? :?
Well i've done too much talking, thanks for time. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Cale A.
Eden prairie,MN
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome carguy :wink:

first - motolane is basically a salvage yard,remember that :wink:
the bike is nearly 30 years old,i don't know if you plan for it to be a daily rider or what, but imo the bike would have to be completely gone over to make sure its road ready-if you just want to restore it and ride it now and then that's different - is it a money pit? very possible

will you get to see it before purchase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...good bike...

Thanks for the info, but unfortunally, i won't get to see it in person. From the web site picture, it seemed very much intact though. I have plenty of time to go thru the whole thing (winter). I'm not going to ride it daily, beacuse in the summer i can't go without driving my MINT '85 supra for more than a day. Love that car!

But this isn't going to be restored to mint condition either. I'm going to tune it up until it runs like a top, then ride the crap out of it, but keep it runnin' sweet. That's kinda why i'm buying it, you know, something to shove around a bit, eh? I'm not expecting it to be pretty either. It's actually going to be painted flat black. I love the look of the Kawis in Mad Max. OH, i don't really like the big, long 2 person seat on it now. Will a single person seat from another kawi fit on it with some modifications?

Thanks!
Cale A.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if that's the case and i had 300 bucks laying around - i'd jump all over it
you could part it out for more than that 8)
it would be a great little bike to ride and would prolly draw some attention
from those who know bikes :wink:

85 supra? nice car 8) i prefer american muscle but i respect those little demons-they were faaast in 85 :wink:

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Lots of Work

If you have the inclination to fix it up...go for it....have a good source of used or new parts. I would also check out the Kawis for sale on ebay...I bought both Kawis I own there.....I was looking for a bike that was ready to ride...was TOOOO impatient for a fixer-upper. :roll: When road fever bites. There is no putting it off. :lol:

The carbs have to be in sync or the bike won't run. My 750's carbs were very particular. See if you can get a kawi repair manual for it.

Good luck!!!!

Heather

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys (and girl)! :D I think it will be fun fixin' the old dog up! I just placed the order for it today, i'll get it in a few weeks, i'll do some more research, pick up a bitchin' leather jacket from a thrift store (a nice worn in one!) buy a helmet, boots, etc. Can't wait until i'm back on the road with the WHOLE summer in front of me in may!

Oh, Bikeaholic, i love american muscle too, but this is actually my first car, i got it two years ago and since then have gotten a little (alot) obsessed with it. Yes it is fast, but the old 2.8 N/A six getting tired, i'm currently putting a BIGGER 3.0 7MGTE in it from an '89 supra! It's a fairly common swap. It makes the power insane! The '89s were slugs, the bodys were WAY too heavy, but they had an awesome engine. The '85s have a very strong body and can easily stand up to 400 HP! :shock: No joke! (For mor info and specs, goto www.supras.com) www.7MPOWER.com is a site about the engine, check it out they have a supra in there with 760 RWHP! :twisted:

Sorry, i get carried away. :?
THANKS FOR READING! :D
Cale A.
MN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys (and girl)! :D I think it will be fun fixin' the old dog up! I just placed the order for it today, i'll get it in a few weeks, i'll do some more research, pick up a bitchin' leather jacket from a thrift store (a nice worn in one!) buy a helmet, boots, etc. Can't wait until i'm back on the road with the WHOLE summer in front of me in may!

Oh, Bikeaholic, i love american muscle too, but this is actually my first car, i got it two years ago and since then have gotten a little (alot) obsessed with it. Yes it is fast, but the old 2.8 N/A six getting tired, i'm currently putting a BIGGER 3.0 7MGTE in it from an '89 supra! It's a fairly common swap. It makes the power insane! The '89s were slugs, the bodys were WAY too heavy, but they had an awesome engine. The '85s have a very strong body and can easily stand up to 400 HP! :shock: No joke! (For mor info and specs, goto www.supras.com) www.7MPOWER.com is a site about the engine, check it out they have a supra in there with 760 RWHP! :twisted:

Sorry, i get carried away. :?
THANKS FOR READING! :D
Cale A.
MN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts