Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a ZX6 as my first bike. Right now I am trying to figure out a good year, because I want a used bike at a good price. I know I will hear comments on wanting a 600cc to start with, but I welcome the comments.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
IMHO if you are set on getting the ZX6, get a beater bike. Most riders hit the ground in their first couple of years riding. I'm not talking about crashing, although some due that too. It's the simple things inexperience people do. At a stop light and slip in oil - tip overs in the garage on soft pavement. Hit a groove in a train track, starting the bike in gear.

I myself lowsided when I was riding at night and did not see the sand on the ground as I was preparing to go into a turn and the front wheel lost traction. That was only a low speed slide and cost over $1500 in fairing damage and a few parts. That was in the first year of owning my bike 1986. By the way, that was my second bike. I learned on a Gpz305.

Ask the other posters and I am sure some have similar stories of having silly things happen. Moral of story is that you will probably have your bike or your bike and you hit the pavement as a new rider and if ya don't more power to ya.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ZX6?

Your FIRST bike a ZX6? We would prefer to have you stay around and share your feelings thoughts and repairs on a smaller bike. Your choice.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes please, look at all the members, i'd say 1/2 the ones with 5 or less posts asked for help one time and left, the other 1/2 will never get on a motorcycle again, whether it be because they're scared or because they are no longer with us.

I'm 6'4" 290lbs and I still have yet to push my friends 250 to it's limits, MY 750 I have but it's a cruiser and that's a lot different.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thankyou

Thank you Stuart. There is a difference in bikes, cruisers, sport bikes, Dual sport, dirt...even street bikes are dirrerent. I've had a harley up to 85 and I had no desire to go any faster, yet on a Gold Wing, 75 was like a Cadillac ride, on a 175 dual sport 90-100 on the track was like 35 on the street. On a 250 dirt bike converted for the track it was well over 100MPH and was awesome to ride. When you realize that you are dragging yor pedals on the track, and then you look at it when you're not on the track you can't believe how far over you have had the bike...it seems insane...tires and track versus the cars, people and lights, and highways, two way traffic...big difference... Thank you Stuart for telling it like it is!

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's my pleasure to enlighten the newer riders :idea:

Ddocta first read The complete idiot's guide to motorcycling, I'm not calling you an idiot and neither is the book, it's very good for first time information, then look up the definition of squid and see if it fits what you would like to do with your sportbike or "crotch-rocket" for the linguistically challenged.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I live in Denver, CO, MAJOR metropolitan area, or were you talkin to ddocta?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for replying, but it was a question for ddocta.

Love that Colorado snow....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey ddocta, take it from first hand experience,the zx6 is not the best bike to learn how to ride. Its hard to get the hang of how to brake and throttle control with this bike(not that i am going to give up my zx6r anytime soon). If you get it you can learn to be a good rider but it will take a longer time just like its taking me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am now starting to look at 500cc bikes. I know this sounds trivial, but I don't like the look of the 500r for some reason. The GSX 500F looks to be ok, but I can't find it used. I am still sure a 250cc is too small for me, (I am a big guy), but a nice 500cc might do me well.

By the way, I live in an urban area. Not the city, but the suburbs.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
if you want a zx6, get an old used one and take a msf course and know what your dealing with. when i say know, i mean fear the bike untill its no big thing to ride it, then just fear it a little. i use fear because i dont know a better word to use. respect maybe.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Get outta here soad, how's your BMX Motorcycle advice going.

P.S. What's with the picture

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, just realized that I never got an answer to my original question, you know, the one about the yeat of a ZX6

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had a 89 zx600 and it was the perfect bike to learn on in my opinion, it was plenty fast but not uncontrollable, although i rode a cl100 around the yard and stuff since i was 13 so i hade riding experience. A sport bike drives totally different than a standard so you might as well get used to a sportbike right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
oh yea, i bought it for 1500 in great shape and it put down 64 horsepower with a sliping clutch on a dyno. so in peak shape it prolly would put down 70 to the wheel, not bad for a 15 year old bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldent recoment gettina 6R as a fisrt bike, go fine a ninja 250, 500, or a katana 600. Those are good starter bike and you will wind up living. The 6R is a super sport bike and is not forgiving, one mistake and your a$$ will be part of the street. I know the bikes i listed dont look as cool and what not, but if you want to become the best you can be at motorcycling go for one of those or something along that line. You will be happyer later. I have a Kat 600 and i have been on it for allmost a year and cant ride it to its extrames, i want a bigger bike but im happy w/ what i got right now and its fun anything but slow and cumffy for all day riding.

I also recomend getting a used bike. Like the others said, you will drop it or worse lay it down.

Hope you make the right choice.
Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like TLF said a Katana is a good starting point. I had a Katana and it was great to me. I even dropped it 2x. Now dropping a brand new zx-6r would make a grown man cry. ha ha just kidding. I now have a zx-6r and all of the other people I ride with respect that bike. It's only a 636cc bike, but with minor tweaks and mods here and there it can keep up with the big boys. I'd say get a used bike at first. Take the safety coarse. Get some good ridding gear and just ride. After you have grown tired of the used bike then just upgrade. You maybe after that time not even like the sport bike feel. You said you were a big guy so you may find later that a cruizer is something you may like. Just an option but just us know what you decide.

Thanks,
erik

1 - 19 of 19 Posts