Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got for free a junk 1991 suzuki katana 600, that has 17" wheels front and back. I am wondering how difficult it would be to make them work on my '87 zx750?
The rear is 3.5" wide, the same as mine, which means I can still use the 150 tire, and I am happy with that, and should still be able to use my swing arm if the brake caliper will line up, which I also have from the Kat. I would like to use the Kat's whole front end; triple tree, forks and brakes. I haven't pulled anything apart yet, but I think my main problem will be with the bolt and bearings that attach the triple tree and forks to the frame, tired right now and can't come up with the proper names, Ithink head bolt and bearings.
My main reason for doing this is to make my tire selection a little bigger and easier, plus the Kat has better brakes and more adjustable forks.
I believe Shift1,2,3 did something similar and his bike is what got me thinking along this line. Any knowledge or input is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to make this my winter project so I have plent of time to gather parts needed.
Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a question...but why not split the kat up and ebay out the parts for cash? Then depending on your profit...which should be high since the bike was free to you...you could look at getting a new bike (if you wanted) or even new rims that would fit and accomadate a better selection of rubber. Just a thought...but it is an easier option than all of the mechanics of the swap. And may result in $$$.$$ in your pockets.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebay was my first thought before I saw this bike but there really isn't much to sell off it but maybe some engine parts.
The price of MC rims is crazy high and I doubt I could find any for my bike due to it's age. So I would still have to go through the same work and these are free just some work and new bearings in everything, and rebuild the forks, which mine need done anyways.
But Ebay would be good if there was decent plastic, and unrusted metal on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts