Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine and tried it out today - a heated vest, Widder's System 2 with the high collar, got a thermostat on a coiled lead, too.

Took out the beast, temps was 41 and just wore a leather jacket and chaps. Man, does this thing heat up fast! Had to turn the thermostat down to less than 50% and it just kept me toasty. Took a short run to the Smoky Mountains, temps were in the 30s and I was warm as toast. There is something to be said about keeping the core warm. I wore my normal winter gloves and my hands were cool but not cold. Had an open face helmet on and did feel cold despite no ski mask. The main thing I noticed too was that I felt much more alert with the constant warming feeling. The warming feeling on the back is very pleasant. Made me hit the curves a little more aggressively - :grin:
Only put on about 30 miles, tomorrow will be much longer ride. Will be interesting to see what the lower temp limit will be.

My only grip is that the lead to and from the rectangular-shaped thermostat are inline and there is not a good place to put it. I just shoved it in my jacket pocket.

Thanks to my son for this belated Christmas gift!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great gift. Look forward to more posts on the product.
Been riding in some 30 degree weather in winter gear and need a break after 1 to 2 hrs of riding. Winter is when you really appreciate a windshield.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, a windshield and, if you got crash ba.., uh excuse me, engine guard, then engine guard chaps help, too. Not cold enough today to test out the gear, 47 right now, I'm goin back to the mountains though and check it out.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
its really tough for me not to justify buying some for myself ! i am going to see how the fairing helps and also get a set of engine guard chaps as well. we'll see how long i stick it out without adding heat !
thanks for the update T.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
ispeed77 said:
its really tough for me not to justify buying some for myself ! i am going to see how the fairing helps and also get a set of engine guard chaps as well. we'll see how long i stick it out without adding heat !
thanks for the update T.
David,

I'd like to get a fairing but my wife says it makes it look like an old man's bike. :-| Maybe if she knew that a young man, such as yourself, was getting one, she would change her mind. ;-)
Where are you getting it from? I saw some nice looking dresser parts for the Nomad at a site called premeux.com. They're pretty pricey but they come color matched (even if someone doesn't have the fastest color) :grin: I plan on getting their tour pack later this year. :cool:

Scott

·
Registered
806 Posts
Anybody ever use hand shields? Mini windshields over the gribs to keep the wind off your hands.

·
32,545 Posts
Scott
i researched it for a while, debating what i wanted to do. i like to premeaux fairings, and the price isn't that bad since they come color matched, but it just didn't suit my needs. to be honest, i like the outer fairing, but not the inner fairing. i started looking at HD fairings and found some on Ebay. i ended up buying a set, inner and outer, that were brand new for $500. this will allow me to move my guage(s) to the fairing and smooth the tank. also, i will be able to add some more guages, if i can find some that work with the bike. i personally like the look of a full dressed cruiser, i guess i am getting old before my time ! i am attaching three pics for you. show your wife the first one, with the solo seat. that is one sharp looking bike. granted, i think he lowered it, but she doesn't have to know that part !!! the other two are two bikes that i pulled off of VROC a while ago, just to see what my bike will look like. i was debating a tour pak, but with the trailer, i think i am all set !

·
32,545 Posts
flynsouth said:
Anybody ever use hand shields? Mini windshields over the gribs to keep the wind off your hands.
only on dirt bikes and my four wheeler ! they do work good on those though !

·
Registered
806 Posts
ispeed77 said:
only on dirt bikes and my four wheeler ! they do work good on those though !
I've got the same, the ones I saw actually match my windshield and look pretty decent. I'll wait for the next numbing experience and decide.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
ispeed77 said:
Scott
i researched it for a while, debating what i wanted to do. i like to premeaux fairings, and the price isn't that bad since they come color matched, but it just didn't suit my needs. to be honest, i like the outer fairing, but not the inner fairing. i started looking at HD fairings and found some on Ebay. i ended up buying a set, inner and outer, that were brand new for $500. this will allow me to move my guage(s) to the fairing and smooth the tank. also, i will be able to add some more guages, if i can find some that work with the bike. i personally like the look of a full dressed cruiser, i guess i am getting old before my time ! i am attaching three pics for you. show your wife the first one, with the solo seat. that is one sharp looking bike. granted, i think he lowered it, but she doesn't have to know that part !!! the other two are two bikes that i pulled off of VROC a while ago, just to see what my bike will look like. i was debating a tour pak, but with the trailer, i think i am all set !
David,

Those are some cool looking bikes (definitely not old man). :wink: I will probably go with the faring some day. She'll have to give in eventually 'cause I'm about 10 years closer to "old man" than you are. :lol: hehehe.
Have you looked in to how much it will be to have the HD faring painted to match? Let me know if it would come out cheaper than premeux.

Scott

·
32,545 Posts
well, i am still not sure what the paint is going to cost me. i am actually having the entire bike painted. i was going to have a friend of a friend do it, but he seems to have disappeared from the planet. it looks like i may end up doing most of the prep work with help from another friend and then having one of his friends just spray it. if i do it that way, it will be pretty cheap. i would imagine having just the fairing painted wouldn't cost too much, you're really only paying for the paint, but i don't know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts