Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got hit earlier today by some idiot in a cage. i was going down the right hand lane (turning lane) with no one infront of me and traffic was stoped for the stright lane. when bam lady stoped pulls right out into me no blinker or anything..... she hit my leg and i droped my bike and slid. was wearing my jacket and no rash on arms but my ankle and knee are kinda bloody. wrist got tewaked and is swollen so gotta go to the hospital later. my bike has minor damages luckly, brand new bike and just got the sliders on. rash on lower and mid farring,cluch lever bent shifter ground down and possibly bent and miorr broken. thats the list so far...

i called the police and a bike cop was there in like 30 seconds with lights and horns blaring. he wrote the lady a ticket for illegal turn and helped me with all the paperwork. couldnt quite understand why but after like 5 mins there where 5 police cars 2 bikes and the peramedics. possibly they had nothing better to do.

so i had a few questions as for repairs.. my lower farring has minor scraches, wos wondering if they will tell me to get it painted or just replace it. same with the mid but mid has worse scraches. hoepfully i will get new farrings. i was hoping perhaps i can pulloff upgrading my levers instead of the oem ones but not sure if that is possible. my dealer is pretty cool so well see. if the farrings do get replaced i hope i can keep the ones with minor damage.

so other than that it was a great day riding in So Cal. had a nice ride until 3 blocks from home.

·
Registered
905 Posts
They will run the estimate for new plastics. With that in mind, if it is simply cosmetic, take the check and buy your plastics from a cheap supplier on line and take the leftover and get your levers and maybe some other trinkets.

The rule of thumb is to replace your helmet as well. I know a guy who died of massive head trauma on his way into surgery... his helmet looked "fine" after his accident.

Get your wrist checked out and be wary of the other insurance company approaching you with a quick settlement. You don't have to take them for a ride, but you want something fair at the same time. Sorry to hear about this, but glad to see you are well enough to type this on the net.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
When I crashed I had 3 cops, 3 firetrucks and an ambulance.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
When I crashed I had 3 cops, 3 firetrucks and an ambulance.
Yep, me too. They told me they're required to respond to any motorcycle accident, I guess with the assumption that the average fender bender in a cage and you might have a little whiplash, but on a bike... :?

They asked me about 6 times if I wanted to go to the hospital, even though I didn't touch down my head. Bless them. :smile:

To the OP: if they cut you a check they'll pay you what the OEM levers are worth. Usually twice what aftermarket is :p so you can figure that out while you wait.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Yep, me too. They told me they're required to respond to any motorcycle accident, I guess with the assumption that the average fender bender in a cage and you might have a little whiplash, but on a bike... :?
Yep, dispatch will assume the worst and everyone who hears it is gonna come running to a bike down. Sadly, that response is usually appropriate :icon_frow

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Glad to hear you are not too banged up... i would try to get a little more out of the older lady... not to the point of just being ****ed, but if she caused the damage, with no fault to you, she should pay for everything damaged... including your medical bills if you happen to have a broken wrist or what not.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Dude, I'm glad you're OK. Hoping the wrist is not broke. This thing was clearly her fult. Take your bike to a certified shop, and let her insuance company pay to make it brand new again. Don't settle for anything less than your bike being perfect.
If the wrist is broke, sue her insuance company.

D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another thing, you should get your helmet checked to see if it is still 100% operational. And if it isn't, make her insurance company pay for it. Because if it is her fault with no fault of yourown, then it is her responsibility to not only pay to get your bike fixed and med bills, but to also replace your helmet because it was damaged, just like your bike and/or you, in the accident.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Another thing, you should get your helmet checked to see if it is still 100% operational. And if it isn't, make her insurance company pay for it. Because if it is her fault with no fault of yourown, then it is her responsibility to not only pay to get your bike fixed and med bills, but to also replace your helmet because it was damaged, just like your bike and/or you, in the accident.
I agree, in fact get your self a new jacket and gear out of the insuarance company also.

D

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts

They asked me about 6 times if I wanted to go to the hospital, even though I didn't touch down my head. Bless them. :smile:
haha same. I was like "no, can I pick my bike off the ground and go home now?"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I agree, in fact get your self a new jacket and gear out of the insuarance company also.

D
Good luck. I tried that after my accident and was sent back and forth between my insurance company and theirs. My only real option was court and while I had a case I would have missed out on the rest of riding season, easily. As it was it took them 2 months to send me the check just for the bike.

Oh, if you sue for bodily harm, make sure you aren't in a job where you're doing anything too stressful. I once worked with a guy who was claiming this and that after an accident, he DID have a broken ankle and a bad wrist. But he was one of those "I'm not going to let this stop me from doing my job" kind of guys. Not to mention, he had to keep working or he'd have starved.

The insurance company hired a private eye (which I'm assuming they do in all cases like this) and he took pictures of my co-worker loading stuff onto the back of a truck at work. Suffice to say, his lawsuit got settled for a lot less than he was asking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so after a day, my wrist still hurts and is kinda swollen and my neck is really stiff and sore. leg and ankle are fine. went to the dealier and its 190$ for a quote and i have to front the cash if i wanna take the bike home after the quote.... kinda lame

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
so after a day, my wrist still hurts and is kinda swollen and my neck is really stiff and sore. leg and ankle are fine. went to the dealier and its 190$ for a quote and i have to front the cash if i wanna take the bike home after the quote.... kinda lame
What!? lol Find another dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
with my crash i had no one come and i went straight under a 4x4 i swear its cos im in australia

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
i called the police and a bike cop was there in like 30 seconds with lights and horns blaring. he wrote the lady a ticket for illegal turn and helped me with all the paperwork. couldnt quite understand why but after like 5 mins there where 5 police cars 2 bikes and the peramedics. possibly they had nothing better to do.
Glad you're okay!!!

The paramedics are obivious. You on bike, she in car. Car normally wins.
The moto cops even more obivious: It's the brotherhood of motorcyclists. No matter the ride. it's the same reason why bikers salute/wave when one another passes on rode - R E S P E C T!!!
The 5 police cars: They probably thought it (accident) would be worse. Traffic control and redirect.

IMO but could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts