Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my actual bday is shared with my MIL, and it also happened to fall on turkey day, my wife gave me Friday to go play on 2 wheels. It started out with a run on my 650R up Soledad Canyon Road to Angeles Forest Highway. Turns out htat AFH is closed to through traffic, so I turned around and headed back down the way I had come. It was nice - I had the entire road to myself, and bout froze my fingers off, which would explain why noone else was out...

About 1030 CCSteve showed up and we headd out again for the epic part. We hit Santa Susana Pass to drop in on my "local" kawi dealer to pick up a part (EX500 clutch perch with adjustable levers). Fro mthere we slabbed it up to Lake Hughes Road by Castaic Lake. Typically we'd go up one road then down one of the other 2 up there, but I had an itch that needed scratching. So we went up LH road, down San Francisquito Canyon Road, across to Bouquet Canyon Road, up that, then turned around and ran back down it to wrap up our epic canyon ride. When we were almost at the bottom of SF canyon, we saw a green new gen ninja heading up giving us the "slow down" sign. We got over the next rise, and on a nice left hander with a dirt runout an SS type bike had not only miffed the tuirn, but apparently nailed head on into the only pole there - a thin metal one with the yellow cautionary signs, you know the kind I mean? Talk about target fixation. There was scattered debris in a v shape around the pole and a huge piece of fairing sitting right in front of it. The rider was apparently OK as he was up and walking around, in some pain and def ****ed. I would normally stop, but there were already several people there to assist, including 2 of CHPs finest.

Through the whole ride, I had one "Oh S&&T!" moment when I came out of a sweeping right hander and the upcoming left hander was far sharper than I was prepared for. I stood my baby up and went from 55 to 5 MPH in a very short distance, managing to be at 5 before I hit the dirt overrun, which was only about 1 foot wide before it became guardrail city. Practicing my quick stops has really paid off, and I never panicked during the whole thing. My only thought was "Don't hit the guradrail!"

In all, we did about 250 miles, inlcuding my early morning run, which is about average for a day's ride. The difference is that, with the exception of the run on the freeway from the dealer to the lake, most of the remaining miles were canyon, whereas typically a good portion (maybe half?) of my weekend miles are spent on the slab. While we were running a farily quick pace, the speed limit in these canyons is 55, so we weren't busting the law for the most part. It felt good to get out and really work the bike and myself.

About the only part of the ride where I was truly concerned for my helath and well being was on the 5 freeway southbound for the house. My buddy is in the lead, left hadn side of the lane, I'm in trail on the right side a few feet back. All of a sudden BAM! Ladder at an angle across the left side of our lane and the right side of the fast lane. The minivan in the fast lane clipped it, but thank god it didn't budge an inch. Had it spun, it probably would have taken out both of us.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cool ride report!
I also got some ride time in this Sunday and finally found the way to Tuna Canyon. It's a one way street that winds down the mountains to PCH. If you wanted you could spend all day riding all these little roads around the Santa Monica mountains.
The access road I knew of had been closed for a while but they finally fixed it so I got to check it out. Lots of fallen rocks in the street, which makes for an interesting right turn, with the side of the mountain on the right and nothing but cliff on the left!
Hadn't been riding like that in months, and I'd forgotten how much easier it is to ride uphill than downhill!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts