Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! What a week. I took the MSF course last Saturday and Sunday, bought my 2008 900LT Monday, got my new license Tuesday and took my first ride Tuesday. I was quite nervous to start. My husband (BassAddict) rode the bike to a rural neighborhood so I could practice with little traffic. I started with power-walking in 1st gear to get the feel of the bike and its weight. It's such a nice looking bike, the last thing I wanted to do was drop the bike.

Next, I moved up to taking off in 1st gear, traveling 20-30 feet, then stopping. Much tighter brakes than the Honda 250 in the training course. By the end of my first hour I was going around curves, stopping and starting, weaving (I really like doing that), and taking it into 2nd gear. :-o

Wednesday I rode for another hour, reviewing what I had done on Tuesday and gaining more confidence. I had to take Thursday off to do the turkey thing, then was back on Friday and Saturday. By then I was up to 3rd gear, but still needed work on smoother corners.:redface:

Today, Sunday, I actually rode the bike in our own neighborhood--lots of corners and tighter curves. I did it! I then got brave enough that I convinced my husband to get out of the car (he has been following me in the car for every lesson so far) and get on his bike to ride with me. We both got on our bikes and rode out of the neighborhood and down the highway (lightly traveled, thank goodness). I actually go up to 50 mph. Too cool.

I must say I am exhausted. I haven't concentrated this hard on anything for a long time.

I've enjoyed reading about all you other gals out there who are learning to ride. It's great to know there are others out there experiencing similar learning adventures.

Keep on biking! :smile:

Cruising in 2nd!! I thought I was flying!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Awesome!
Take good care of her and she'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Congrats to your accomplishment and to the new ride.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Welcome to forum and congats on passing the MSF class and the new bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Congrats on the MSF course, The Licence, The Scoot, TurkeyDay whew what else??? How about...
Just a big Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Congrats on getting your license, and your own very nice 900 :D Alot of ladies on the 900's.........can we say the future is looking haaaaaaaawwwtt :mrgreen:

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
WTG VV!!!! take your time, and in no time you'll be cruisin right along! :)
and remember, see and be seen!!!

and i have to throw this in, get outta them tennies and into some good riding boots!!!
I always say, if your smart enough to protect your noggin, you should be smart enough to protect the rest of ya!!! :)

CONGRATS!!!

oh, and your pics arent showing up! :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you couldn't see the picture, let me tell you what I did! Before I even got a bike I purchased a full-face helmet, leather motorcycle gloves, a Joe Rocket riding jacket, and a HD (ouch!) leather jacket. (What can I say: I can't resist a great sale!). As far as foot protection goes, I am currently wearing my Vasque hiking boots (which have hiked all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon). They have high ankle support, superior toe protection, and great tread. The last thing I want to worry about is ruining a good pedicure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great advice.

VV

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
Sounds like you hooked up with some great gear!
the only reason im such a stickler on boots is, years ago a friend of mine layed his bike down, wasnt even really that bad of a crash, the only injuries he sustained were some bumps and bruises, but lost about 1/3 of his foot. he was wearing sneakers, but his foot got caught under the bike, and it ground right thru the shoe and took almost the whole side of his foot. lost 3 toes in the process.
I preach boots to the point of being annoying, lol

I can see the pic now, and it looks like ya went thru some twisties eh?!
Have fun VV!!!

Oh, and theres nothing wrong with HD gear, my boots are HD!! multi purpose too, steel toed for work and great riding boots!!

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Congrats Vixen, your doing GREAT!!!

After my wifes MSF class, and some neighborhood practices, I also followed my wife in the car while she was on her 900 LT for a while to keep the crazy drivers off her rear until she felt comfortable. Or maybe it was until I felt comfortable...:lol: But either way it worked out.

Don't rush it, keep up the good work and this time next year, you'll be one of the old timers giving advice...:smile: And hopefully enjoying riding as much as we all do.

Most of us guys LOVE to have our wives ride their own bike. Then it's a hobby you both share, not just follow him around with.

Congrats, & enjoy.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Gear

Since you couldn't see the picture, let me tell you what I did! Before I even got a bike I purchased a full-face helmet, leather motorcycle gloves, a Joe Rocket riding jacket, and a HD (ouch!) leather jacket. (What can I say: I can't resist a great sale!). As far as foot protection goes, I am currently wearing my Vasque hiking boots (which have hiked all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon). They have high ankle support, superior toe protection, and great tread. The last thing I want to worry about is ruining a good pedicure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great advice.

VV
I was sort of the other way around. I bought my '06 900 LT together with my FF helmet and Joe Rocket leather jacket + gloves on the same day (first)...(second) I had to wait for two weeks then I took my MSF course. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts