Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all the 1600 owners with questions about mapping their bike,here are some words from
one of THE best tuners in the southeast on these bikes:

"TFI, Cobra, and I forget what other name they go by are all. the same.
aome have more adjustment knobs. some less but all the same.
All you can do is add fuel and only in wide blocks of throttle and rpm.
If you think that all you do is add. take a look at some PC3 maps and see how much is taken out.
The PC3usb can add or subtract fuel.
It also can do each cylinder seperate. so each cyl. is running optimal.
and don't beleive all the stuff about you have to do this and that and then this with a PC3. just find a good tuner have them map it and you are done."

it should be clear that tuning your motor the right way and not having to constantly dial it in
is both more acurate(both cylinders independently) and less trouble

however,you must have made a pipe change because the stock exhaust is a closed
system and you would have to drill a hole in the header to read the exhaust and then
plug it-units like the tfi and cobra unit are fine if you like to play with it but it seems
all of the guys that know tuning are saying PC3usb is the best way to get the most from these motors after a pipe/intake change

some may argue-the bike's are sooooooooo lean all you need to do is add fuel
but what if adding fuel richens up 1 cylinder-then what?you got one good and one rich cylinder-no better than being lean(not in tune)

so as i've stated before THE BEST way to tune your bike is to DYNO it and have it mapped custom-if you think wiring up a smart box is gonna be a miracle cure it may not be.
i've already heard folks complaing of surging and bizzare throttle responses after
installing

just thought i'd pass this along

:wink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good info, wish we had a dyno here, but I'd think somebody in Denver Colorado should have one.

What exactly is the PC3usb, or am I having a stupid moment :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re

rat- its basically just a new version of the original power commander made by dynojet
that allows the unit to be hooked up to a laptop for adjustment of more parameters

the reg pcIII does it with a preprogrammed map based on your specific set-up
the usb version will also adjust spark,timing,etc via a laptop - only drawback is knowing
someone who is a wizard with these programs

i had my car tuned this way with usb with the LS1 edit program and i could even
change my shift points in the tranny-watching these guys do this is amazing :shock:

i wish i would've spent the time to learn it cause these guys are in big demand and they
are scattered all over the country but worth the tracking down

i can't wait till its out of warranty so i can at least get it to stage 1 like my other bikes
so while i wait i'll just see if i can the car to stage 3 :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Me understand now. I've been trying to do my homework about upgrades & from what I've managed to understand dynojet's power commander is the best on the market. Seems I read somewhere that Cobra could possibly harm things & to stay away from any of their products.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
What was the place in North Carolina you recommended Bikeaholic? So if I take my ride to a tuning center around here they can plug the usb PCIII up to a dyno and tune it, but you think I'd be better off taking a ride down south to NC (about a six hour drive) to have them make a custom map because they really know their ish? Just trying to figure out what they are going to be able to to when the dynojet software is going to do most of the work anyways.

Phatboy

·
Registered
309 Posts
RampRat said:
Me understand now. I've been trying to do my homework about upgrades & from what I've managed to understand dynojet's power commander is the best on the market. Seems I read somewhere that Cobra could possibly harm things & to stay away from any of their products.
What kind of harm would a Cobra FI2000 do? Where did you read this info from. I have one installed on my Mean Streak. I would like to read some more input.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re

phatboy-this is the place johnny cheese says is a good tuner:

http://www.leesperformance.com

i know folks are driving 400 miles to let johnny tune their bikes so whatever
these guys are doing it must be worth it - i believe its the ability to read the
air/fuel at every 500 rpm's instead of every 1k rpm all the way through
the power band.on some bikes fuel delivery has to be taken away at certain
rpm's and added at others. i wish i had more knowledge of exactly how
its done but until i do mine i'm still learning.the factory dynojet map
works great on most bikes but some guys have had marginal gains
because of their particular motor. i believe this is the advantage to custom tuning the program is specific to your bike plus both cylinders can be done
independently

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you talking of the new wide band commander when you say Smart Box? I would think that the smart box would be more accurate than a dyno because you get to tune your bike while you are riding. With the wide band you need to install a bosch Oxygen sensor into your pipe and it records your fuel/air ratio. The units of measurment correspond with the power commander so you are not totally in the dark when adjusting your PCIIIusb. I'm sure a good tuner can account for airflow at speed, but with all the new ram air style intakes I would think having the wideband commander record as you ride in your environment and altitude would be best. I know alot of aftermarket exhausts for sport bikes have O2 sensors built into every header pipe just for the wideband commander.
All the wide band does is record your fuel/air mixture for 10 minutes I believe. It's like $470.00 though :x I know a good dyno tuner will be around 200.00 to tune your bike with a Power Commander.

Anyone out there ever use a Wide Band commander? I see alot of people using them on all kinds of gas engines from bikes to trucks and cars.

Ride safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts