Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to trade in my 500. The 500 is a great bike, but small. ... but I am now in shock!!! After riding my new 1500 for 40 miles yesterday, I now know what heaven feels like. I am utterly amazed and at a loss for words. Was slightly apprehensive goin to such a big bike, since I am 5'9 130 lbs, but it is easier to ride than my 500 was. Just wanted to share my joy, and ask opinions on windshields and WHY u like a particular one. It's gonna be my first buy, since I do alot of hiway miles. Another thought. Which break-in do you guys believe in, easy or hard? Also, nice to meet all of you !!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Big congrats bro, thats great that bike is so smooth is like riding in a cadilac, the classic boys are going to let you have it so take notes and happy trails.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

congrats,its a great bike(almost as good as the 1600 :p )j/k
i like memphis shades because of colors and styles but there are lots of good screens.enjoy your new ride :wink:

oh, and break it in easy and hard at the same time :grin:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Nice move there Alex214!!! :)

My bike already had a F&S windshield on it when I bought it. I like it as it's nice and wide and tall enough for me....I'm 6'4" tall so I sit a little higer in the seat.

ALSO....If your bike does not have lowers on it yet.....definately consider putting some on as they will remove 99% of the buffeting from the wind coming from under the windshield. I put F&S lowers on mine and love the results. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Copy that, Whistle, lowers are the buffet-breaker (and I ain't talking food buffet!) :grin:

BUT, I got Memphis Shades, the Memphis Fats model, and the tallest they make, think it is 21". I like to look through the shield, especially going into the wind. No wind affects that way or bugs messin' with your lid. Be sure to use only the recommended plastic cleaners to keep the shield scratch-free or your first night ride or ride into the setting sun will be a blur of reflected, refracted light. I use Sunnyside cleaner from ACE hardware, 16 oz for about $2.50. Honda cleaner works good, too.

My only gripe with Memphis is the brackets are polished aluminum instead of chrome.

Congrats on the new bike and put a pic up on the site when you get a chance! Also, check out www.cruisercustomizing.com for accessory ideas.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Alex214 said:
I finally decided to trade in my 500. The 500 is a great bike, but small. ... but I am now in shock!!! After riding my new 1500 for 40 miles yesterday, I now know what heaven feels like. I am utterly amazed and at a loss for words. Was slightly apprehensive goin to such a big bike, since I am 5'9 130 lbs, but it is easier to ride than my 500 was. Just wanted to share my joy, and ask opinions on windshields and WHY u like a particular one. It's gonna be my first buy, since I do alot of hiway miles. Another thought. Which break-in do you guys believe in, easy or hard? Also, nice to meet all of you !!!

Congrats man. I had a 500, and yes it's a great bike, but its gets to feeling small out on the highway. I only went up to the 800, and I really like this bike, but the 1500 is on my list a few years down the road. Post some pics.

bluestringer

·
Registered
229 Posts
I strongly suggest doing EXACTLY what the manufacturer says for your first miles and upto the suggested first oil change. After that, ride it the way you want to ride. Initially, you could have some stray foriegn objects and rough spots inside the engine and tranny. Best not to RAM them around until they get a chance to make it to the filters or magnets, K? Have a ball, and be safe ! Last suggestion, watch out for slow parking lot manuevers for awhile, til you get used to the extra height and weight. :wink:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
congrats on the new ride. as far as break-in, i am not going to get into that one. there are a couple of recent posts that show varied aswers. memphis shades seems to be a great shield.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts