Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Need to fix bike
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I managed to get my first ticket last night(car or bike). On friday nights lots of people take their cars and bikes to the local Dunkin Doughnuts. Well me and my friend decided to take off and go bowling. We went North(lots of kids racin around on bikes and cars south). When I got down the 3-lane hiway a bit I opened the bike up just a bit, then slowed down and turned into the turning lane. Looked over to my right and had a cop yelling at me to pull into the lot. Ended up getting a 65 in a 40.
Fortunitly the cop was kinda cool and told me that if I went to court "we would talk". Hope thats good!
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
Hawkshot99 said:
Fortunitly the cop was kinda cool and told me that if I went to court "we would talk". Hope thats good!
bummer man, but im not sure thats a good thing that the cop said. if he doesnt show on your court date then they will drop it but if he does show then your more than likely screwed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I've been pulled over so many times. But last Wednesday, ladyluck took a day off, and I got a ticket for doing 84mph in a 60 mph zone.

Though I never flirt with cops, I usually just sit there and let them rant about my speeding - they usually let me off with a verbal warning. So I am still in shock that he actually wrote me one. I thought he was going to let me go because he kept patting me on the back, touching my arm and hand. Boy was I WRONG!

Miki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
mikimoto said:
I've been pulled over so many times. But last Wednesday, ladyluck took a day off, and I got a ticket for doing 84mph in a 60 mph zone.

Though I never flirt with cops, I usually just sit there and let them rant about my speeding - they usually let me off with a verbal warning. So I am still in shock that he actually wrote me one. I thought he was going to let me go because he kept patting me on the back, touching my arm and hand. Boy was I WRONG!

Miki
I had one thank me for pulling over and not running.

Then he proceeded to write me the ticket. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
FULL PRESS

Seems that all f the sudden every car with lights on it ion the road this past week. I've never seen so many cars puled over in my entire lifetime. I live just south of Kansas City, but wow, what a bunch of tickets must be going out. I'm not much of a speeder, I like to see double digit MPG on my readouts...and tires, everythig last longer when they are not abused...I'm not always a right lane only kinda guy...but I try to take things easier now that ALL the cops in the state are on a rampage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Yesterday I was on a two-lane road headed south. An north-bound officer came over the hill, then turned on his lights. I wasn't really watching my speed. I might have been about 10mph over the limit. He made a U-turn behind me, so I pulled over and waited for him. He then turned left down a side street. I guess it was my lucky day.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
He saw

He realized it was a Kawasaki! One of the good guys, not some open-piped noise belching motorcycle...OR, he had a call and he just happened to be where you were when he turned the lights on...most likely the later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
i just got my bike a month ago so i only have my temps right now, and the rules in ohio are wear a helmet, no highways, no night driving, and no highways. One night my girl wanted to go for a ride, and we went a little further than expected. A cop pulled me over and walked up to me shaking his head he said "you only have your temps don't you" and I wasn't about to lie so I just told him the truth. He just said if I were you I would get home before someone else pulls me over again. I flew home and the thing was I haven't had time to get my temps yet, I got the packet and read through it and everything but haven't had time to take the test. I haven't had a ticket in over three years now :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Racing Ticket

Tell me about it. I just got my first bike ticket. "Racing w/ several other motorcycles" Me and a friend gotta go to court and let the judge decide the punishment (hope he's in a hella good mood). We were in a group of 6 & the cop claimed we were ALL racing. Me and my friend were the only ones who attempted to pull over (because we thought the cop wanted to get the bikes in front of us - cuz they were speeding/stunting). Instead we got citations. I heard they take racing citations very seriously. I'll more than likely end up hiring a lawyer.

Can anyone share my predicament, and does anyone have any insight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
Re: Racing Ticket

truthesis said:
Tell me about it. I just got my first bike ticket. "Racing w/ several other motorcycles" Me and a friend gotta go to court and let the judge decide the punishment (hope he's in a hella good mood). We were in a group of 6 & the cop claimed we were ALL racing. Me and my friend were the only ones who attempted to pull over (because we thought the cop wanted to get the bikes in front of us - cuz they were speeding/stunting). Instead we got citations. I heard they take racing citations very seriously. I'll more than likely end up hiring a lawyer.

Can anyone share my predicament, and does anyone have any insight?
I'd suggest getting a lawyer, or at least speaking to one. They take "racing" seriously around here. I really think if a motorcycle is racing then the police probably aren't going to be able to catch up.
 

·
Need to fix bike
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Superbike Mike said:
Just two words! ...........("RADAR DETECTOR")..........get one and use it!! :roll:
How do you hook up a radar detector to a bike. Do you need to hard wire it in, because their is no cicarete light.
 

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
Joined
·
364 Posts
Hawkshot99 said:
Superbike Mike said:
Just two words! ...........("RADAR DETECTOR")..........get one and use it!! :roll:
How do you hook up a radar detector to a bike. Do you need to hard wire it in, because their is no cicarete light.
You can use a set of these in between the battery and the RADAR detector:

Duratrax Powerpole Connectors

Current Rating (2 pair): 30amp #12awg
Voltage Rating: 600V
Wire Size: #12-16awg

or

Astro Flight Zero Loss Connectors

Maximum Continuous Amps 50 amps
Maximum Wire size 13 gage
Minimum wire size 18 gage


Just Cut the power connector to the detector, insert a set of these to the cig lighter side and the detector side. Insert another set on the wires connecting to your bike battery and ground. Also, make sure you put an inline fuse between the detector and battery unless you plan on tapping power at the fuse/relay box.

Doing this, you can use the detector on the bike or the car still.

These connectors can be picked up at your local R/C Hobbies Shop or from Tower Hobbies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Hawkshot99; I've been running radar detectors on my motorcycles since they were first made! YES I'M OLD" and I ride over 100MPH regularly being an EX AMA Pro road racer I just can't resist the turning the throttle! .............40+ years of riding a motorcycle and riding way to fast on the street all the time ..NEVER A TICKET"..touch wood!!!!!! I might get one today now I said that :( but OH WELL!! As for putting one on a motorcycle it's so easy a 5 year old could do it IMO.. #1 and most importaint is what kind you buy NEVER,EVER,NEVER buy cheap junk,NEVER,EVER buy one that you can not plug an ear phone into. I use the Escort Passport 8500-X50 $299.99 with a Radio Shack headset speaker I stick in the helmet on velcro,at max volume at 100 + MPH with my CD player blasting in my helmet I hear the radar detector with no problem,to tell the truth at 155 + MPH I have no problem,but we won't go there! this is the #1 importaint thing and now we will move to #2 When buying and using one DO NOT just go out and drive like a NO MIND FOOL! it does not protect you against being STUPID! learn how use it,get use to what it's trying to tell you and how it tells you whats going on! they say they won't do much to protect you against LAZER but mine has saved me from 5 LAZER tickets to date because I took the time to learn what it was saying before pushing it to speed. Go for rides at normal (non speeding speeds) to learn the detector and how it talks to you,listen closely and learn where the cops were and what they were doing and how it sounded.LEARN,LEARN and RELEARN how it works and what it's telling you before trying it at speed!! As for hooking it up Escort has a tech line to help you,also all bikes have an ACCSESORY WIRE to hook into,it is in your bikes handbook,find it and hook it up how ever works for you! I personaly just hook a cig lighter to the wires! BUT WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU" is how you should do it! IMO :wink:
 

·
Motorcycle Momma
Joined
·
839 Posts
Speeding ticket

Knock on wood..I haven't gotten one yet....I ride on the interstate all the time when I ride to work. I have learned where the cops like to hang out and what they drive....they don't usually bother motorcycles very much. Especially during morning and afternoon rush hour I mind my P's and Q's. The state Troopers are out there in plain wrappers looking for speeders and reckless drivers.

Ride Safe and Ride Sane

Heather
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Superbike Mike said:
Hawkshot99; I've been running radar detectors on my motorcycles since they were first made! YES I'M OLD" and I ride over 100MPH regularly being an EX AMA Pro road racer I just can't resist the turning the throttle! .............40+ years of riding a motorcycle and riding way to fast on the street all the time ..NEVER A TICKET"..touch wood!!!!!! I might get one today now I said that :( but OH WELL!! As for putting one on a motorcycle it's so easy a 5 year old could do it IMO.. #1 and most importaint is what kind you buy NEVER,EVER,NEVER buy cheap junk,NEVER,EVER buy one that you can not plug an ear phone into. I use the Escort Passport 8500-X50 $299.99 with a Radio Shack headset speaker I stick in the helmet on velcro,at max volume at 100 + MPH with my CD player blasting in my helmet I hear the radar detector with no problem,to tell the truth at 155 + MPH I have no problem,but we won't go there! this is the #1 importaint thing and now we will move to #2 When buying and using one DO NOT just go out and drive like a NO MIND FOOL! it does not protect you against being STUPID! learn how use it,get use to what it's trying to tell you and how it tells you whats going on! they say they won't do much to protect you against LAZER but mine has saved me from 5 LAZER tickets to date because I took the time to learn what it was saying before pushing it to speed. Go for rides at normal (non speeding speeds) to learn the detector and how it talks to you,listen closely and learn where the cops were and what they were doing and how it sounded.LEARN,LEARN and RELEARN how it works and what it's telling you before trying it at speed!! As for hooking it up Escort has a tech line to help you,also all bikes have an ACCSESORY WIRE to hook into,it is in your bikes handbook,find it and hook it up how ever works for you! I personaly just hook a cig lighter to the wires! BUT WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU" is how you should do it! IMO :wink:
hey superbike mike, you sound like the man on radar detectors, I am thinking about getting the same one you stated, where is the best place to order one? from their homepage?

Where is the best place to mount it? Do you have a pic.

Sorry for all the questions I do appreciate your help though :)
 

·
Motorcycle Momma
Joined
·
839 Posts
SuperBike Mike,

I have been riding for almost 30 years. Got my first bike when I was 19 years old...My mom freaked :roll: I have been riding ever since. I am pushing 50!!!! Since the gas prices have been going up I have been riding my bike more and more on the interstate to and from work.

You do know a lot about detectors!! I usually only go up past 75 if I need to get out of a situation.. average speed is 70mph..posted speed is 65 here in the KY.


Heather
Ride Safe.Ride Sane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Heather; I kinda thought you might be close to my age" I'm over 50 but I rode my first bike at 7 years old! My mom was never thrilled either! But once I started Road Racing she quit worrying about me so much,figuring I was learning more about being safe on a motorcycle :lol: I have always rode triple digits on the street it just feels good to me,how ever I NEVER recomend it to anyone because it takes more practice and constant focus then most riders are willing to do. I have always rode between 50,000 and 170,000 street miles a year from my first full time street riding at age 11 (no I did not have a licence till I was 16) by the time I had my licence I had already put 340,000 miles on the street! and never got pulled over one time in all those miles. Again I don't recomend this to anyone at all" but it worked for me! You must ride many thousands of miles a year on a street motorcycle to be good and keep your skillz sharp enough to keep you from being killed IMO!! One laps in total consintration and focus YOU ARE DEAD it's just that quick and your family has to live with your one laps in consintration for the rest of their life! I'm scared every time I see what I call a bike polisher (under 10,000 miles a year rider) riding a motorcycle,because I know in my heart their going to die one day and a family member will be hurting the rest of their lives! it's sad but true and I have seen it personaly over 100 times in my over 40 years of riding,I have lost many friends due to a single moments laps in focus! if I find my self riding down the road and something other then watching what I'm doing is stuck in my mind distracting me I pull off the road think it threw and then when I feel I can focus clearly again I get back on the road! (BTW: I've noticed the older I get the more of those moments I have) anyway I'm just rambling like an old man :roll: so I'll stop for now! You have a GREAT DAY & RIDE SAFE now YA HEAR" :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top