Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new Hard Krome Double D 3" Staggered Straights tonight, and put 'em on already. Piece of cake. Really. I did it by myself, and it wasn't ever to the point where I wished I had another set of hands. I've posted some before and after pictures below. The sound is incredible. Way more mellow than I thought they were going to be. At crusing speed they're only slightly louder and deeper than my stocks. On accceleration they're powerful and deep and a long way from obnoxious. On decel a half-volume version of accel. I'm couldn't be happier...with myself for taking on the job and doing it, and with the pipes. They're exactly the sound I was looking for.

I'll take some daylight pics tomorrow. Just had to get some up tonite. Can you say excited?

Cheers,
John

Here's before:

Here's a couple after:

·
Registered
439 Posts
They look great!! Your bike looks awesome, too. I almost bought a drifter, but my fiancee wants to be able to ride with me, and I want her there too. That 50's look is just so nice to see after all this insane "all the same" look of things these days. Am I just gettin old and grumpy or do all cars look the same now? Anyway, congrats, and glad to hear how much u like your pipes. I am pretty sure I will be getting HK's when I can afford it. See (and hear) you on the road.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice bike!!! The HK pipes are a great addition. I recently put the long straights on my Meanie and can't wait for spring.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Beautiful Look!

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Ahhhh, a proud papa of a new bouncing baby...uh...pipes. :p

The pipes and the bike look great.

Scott

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
John,

You did a good job! :)

I kept telling myself after we talked last night that I would be very surprised if you didn't like the sound.

Thanks for the pictures! Are you sure we'll hear from you today? I figured you'd be riding that awesome bike all day to enjoy the new and improved sound. :)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
yeah great look to that great looking bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting pretty consistent backfire on decel. Put a marble in the hose leading to the reed valve and there appears to be no change in the backfire situation. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very Nice Job Vato :)

Gives it a very nice personality and the flow of lines is much nicer than stock

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very nice bike..........looks awesome! :cool:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
According to H/K's website there are a couple of things pointing to popping...or how to help prevent it. Here is part of that info in the FAQ section:

Q: I am interested in ordering a full set of Hard-Krome pipes. Do I need to re-jet my motorcycle in accordance?

A: If your bike is carbureted we recommend the Dynojet Stage jet kit for our pipe applications. The bike could run lean otherwise and you could experience a pop on deceleration. The jet kit can be purchased through your local dealer. If your bike has Fuel Injected, we recommend the Dynojet PowerCommander. The PowerCommander will alter your air/fuel mixture. Your stock F.I. can compensate only a small spectrum, not enough for an aftermarket exhaust. The Power Commander can alter that stock map and can be re-programmed for modifications installed at a later time. For more information on Dynojet, visit their website at www.dynojet.com

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks outstanding. Those are the pipes I intend to get also. I can't wait !! Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Look's good JRO, Don't know if it's carb or FI. I'm guessing it's carbed ? But you might back out the A/F mixture screw a half of turn an see what happens. If that doesn't help rejet like whistle posted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woodchucks800 said:
Look's good JRO, Don't know if it's carb or FI. I'm guessing it's carbed ? But you might back out the A/F mixture screw a half of turn an see what happens. If that doesn't help rejet like whistle posted.
Actually, it's fuel injected so I'll have to live with the popping until I get some type of control module on it. In the mean time, I'm not complaining. My neighbors would now like me to move, but I figure it's easier for them to move. I was here first...LOL.

Cheers,
John

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
jroskelley said:
My neighbors would now like me to move, but I figure it's easier for them to move. I was here first...LOL.

Cheers,
John

hehehe, i like that !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts