Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my overdrive pulley yesterday gets installed on friday and I can't wait... scootworks sent it right out in my hands in two days... will let you know how everything works out at end of week

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
sounds great! Yes, let us know how much it changes your monster.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
Your gonna love it! Trust me! Depending how far off your speedometer is it should put it almost on the money after the install. Mine was 11% over before the overdrive and now only off by 1 mph @ 60mph actual.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Mine matches my sons GPS so I'm happy.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
I am going to order one after the first of the year. My only concern is that there are alot of hills in the Birmingham area and my wife loves to be on the back. I hope when i stop going up hill at the red lights i do not have issues pulling off the line with the pulley.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ride al over Colorado with the scootworks pully and my wife, never have a problem on any hill here (rides over 12,000 feet). You will like how it evens out 1st gear.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Did anyone install the pulley themselves? If you did, is it difficult for an amateur? Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Na, the only tricky spots are the inner cover bolts are a little on the stiff side and you can get buy that with one of those impact drivers you use a hammer on and then the pulley nut is on pretty tight in some instances. Came right off for me and a 2 foot breaker bar but some have reported theres were on tougher. Have someone with you with the bike in gear and their foot on the brake and then using a breaker bar with an extension if you need it, the nut will come off. Then everything goes right back on. You'll need a torque wrench, 27mm driver, breaker bar, 5 mm hex driver for the cover bolts and then what, 14 and 12mm for the belt adjusters? It's easy cheesy lemon squeezy.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
hardest part is adjusting the belt. Its also nice to have a impact wrench & a 27 mm combination wrench for the rear axle nut

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm planning on getting one as well, and while I feel I'm pretty OK mechanically, I'm a bit reluctant to try the install myself. Does anyone know if dealers would install it? I don't know any good mechanics in my area.

Thanks!
Jei

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
I'm planning on getting one as well, and while I feel I'm pretty OK mechanically, I'm a bit reluctant to try the install myself. Does anyone know if dealers would install it? I don't know any good mechanics in my area.
Thanks!
Jei
Local dealer here had never heard of it. I used the local V-Twin guru. No problems, $100 well spent in my mind. I did read one horror story from a guy who's dealer installed it backward, flange to the inside, causing all kinds of belt noise.

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dropped the bike off two hours ago at the dealer (13 degrees) in New Jersey tonight... my dealer said no problem... I can pick it up tomorrow they have changed quite a few....

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
I'm getting a new Metzeler 880 on the rear and the pulley at the same time. I have all the equipment to do myself, but I want to rack somebody if the rear isn't in alignment with proper belt tension. (I don't have a jack)

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Are you going stock on the Metzler, or you upsizing? Hey, let us know how the pulley and Metzler affects your speedo if you upsized the tire.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Are you going stock on the Metzler, or you upsizing? Hey, let us know how the pulley and Metzler affects your speedo if you upsized the tire.
I have pulley, 33t not 34t and upsized tire, my speedo is 8% closer now. Only off by 2%, so a 34T and upsized tire should be exact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW! Got my Scootworks pulley unstalled today! I usued to ride comfortably at 65 w/o any concerns. At 70 I would be wishing for a 6th gear because the engine sounded like it needed it. With the new pulley I'm loving 70, 75, and 80..............it's as smooth as silk! What a ride I THINK THIS SHOULD BE THE #1 UPGRADE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! You will never regret it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts