Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a pretty decent amount of snow last week, and the bike hasnt been out in about 2 months. Well after the 8 inches of snow, and the constant rain and sub freezing weather, it warmed up to 60 today! It was extremely wet out but not a lot as far as standing water goes. So i left work, pulled her out and had to go for a ride. After reaching my brother's shop to try and con him into ditching work as well, i turned the bike off and noticed a horrible smell. It was about a 10 minute ride with some highway driving and i couldnt figure out what it was. I never really did, although i looked down to my pipes and noticed muddy water all over them so i figure it was probably just that burning off? The bike has never taken that much water while riding before ( i ran thru no standing water, just picked up some off of tire splash) other than getting caught in a rare sprinkle here and there. if i get caught in rain i usually run for the nearest underpass :D

Anyway, im not worried about it really, just thought i would share that i got out! i have been Jones'n really bad....

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i lived in FL i would drive to work and every minute i had available! :D

Im sure you have your reasons, but just watching my bike sit and winter isnt even officially here yet :(

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
That smell could have been salt mixed with the water, or I suppose with our new Director it could be calcium chloride. Is your district using the beet juice to melt the snow and ice?

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That smell could have been salt mixed with the water, or I suppose with our new Director it could be calcium chloride. Is your district using the beet juice to melt the snow and ice?
As far as i know we are not using the beet juice. Is the the calcium chloride what they use to pre treat? not that it works really.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Me too Chris. Got up to about 39, little wind and was sunny, so took my 1500Classic out for about 20-25 miles. Felt good but it was cold.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad you got her out. I've been blessed here this week as we've been seeing highs of 80!! And just a couple of weeks before X-mas! It'll drop again and start making me think twice again. ;)

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
As far as i know we are not using the beet juice. Is the the calcium chloride what they use to pre treat? not that it works really.
As of now most Districts are using a salt brine mixture to pretreat with. We just got our calcium chloride tank delivered the other day. We won't use that very often, only when the ice gets really thick.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As of now most Districts are using a salt brine mixture to pretreat with. We just got our calcium chloride tank delivered the other day. We won't use that very often, only when the ice gets really thick.

Salt Brine, thats right. I don't plow or pre treat... or have a cdl...or dispatch :lol: I pretty much just look at accident reports, do CAD (well microstation) work, speed studies, passing zone studies and counts...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts