Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work on the 405N near LAX and I was wearing an open face helmet as is usual. What was not usual was the excruciating pain that was being delivered to my face from a sand storm. It wasn't windy and there was no way this was coming from the beach, I couldn't understand it. The worse thing is, there's no shoulder and traffic is moving around 80+, you just can't slow down. The pain from the sand(or whatever it was) was constant and very intense. I was at my limit and just couldn't see where it was coming from, I wanted to pull over but couldn't. I tried to pull my shirt up over my face but it kept falling down. I finally discovered if I pull up the shirt and bite it it will hold the shirt over my mouth however my cheeks were exposed.

At my utmost limit of tolerance I just squeezed the throttle and gunned it hitting near 100mph in extreme pain, not sure what I was thinking or what the plan was but I just had to get out of this situation. Passing a few cars I see it, a tractor trailer with two trailers full of what appeared to be sand blowing off the top at such a rate it literally look like a cloud above the uncovered top of both trailers. I had a goal, to pass it which I quickly did, relief! immediatelly followed by extreme anger. I got right next to the truck drivers cab with my meanest face ready to stare at him. However he's in another world, for 5 minutes he never looked over at me, he appeared to be singing to the radio!!! Man, I am ****ed and I have to let him know, I had about 100 different ideas of "how to get him" but that was one big truck so I beat him up in my mind and left.

Rant over.:mad:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I have been behind dumptrucks on the interstate where their load is not covered and the sand/dirt is flying out, that sand blasting is bad.

Once on the the way to Red Lodge on HWY 12 across Idaho up Lolo Pass, a truck coming down the pass was going WAY to fast and cut way inside the corner to make it around and his tires got into the gravel. He ended up spewing small bb size gravel into the air and I caught that all over including my face and also the front fender of my bike. I have a momento of that moment with lots of little rockchips on my fender now. gotta luv it

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
I've had that happen a few times and it SUCKS! I wonder if there's rules & regs about covering/cleaning them?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, there are hefty fines for truck drivers that do not have those types of loads covered. The problem lies in the fact that it's hard to enforce (you have to get caught first) and not many people report the situation. I try to take a plate number and hope Johnny Law wants to do something about it.

Not only do you risk injuring motorcycle riders but that type of situation can also due quite a bit of damage to a cars finish.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
In PA, it's known on the books as a "Leaking and Sifting Load". Wrote a few of those in my day.....

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
It's also unsafe. That fine dusting of sand being left on the road can turn even a cool-dry normally good traction surface into an ice-rink.

Bad Ju-Ju, IMHO.

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least you got your revenge...in your mind. I'm sure he's still sore.
oh man, you should have seen it, I showed no mercy even when he was begging for forgiveness. Some people just don't realize how tough I think I am.

·
Registered
460 Posts
oh man, you should have seen it, I showed no mercy even when he was begging for forgiveness. Some people just don't realize how tough I think I am.

LMAO!!

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
Because of stuff like that and bugs, I'm sure glad I have a windshield! Even with the shield the occasional bug will makes it way around it and hit my helmet or face.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Early morning trash trucks are also a... grit blower. I avoid them (looking ahead), ever since I got sand-blasted by one.
not grit blowers but cow transporters spray a hazzard of their own

1 - 14 of 14 Posts