Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

GP125 and 250 bikes coming to America

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  ZX-2R 
#1 ·
I know that this is old news, couple months old now, but I'm a little upset about Kawasaki not releasing the ZZR-250 here in the States. We have the ZZR-600, already, why not the 250. The ZZR-250 will outsell the Ninja250R in a heartbeat. It already has the 17"wheeels, aluminum chassis, and a better looking fairing...not to mention the great looking tail light like the ZZR-600 has with the red in the center of the Amber lenses! Kawasaki could make a few changes to the ZZR-250 for the States and then we could beef up the bike to be something differrent than the 250R. I'm not trying to ROCK THE MARKET, and bring on the ZX-2R, and generations of new bikes, for the beginners, but Rather bring in the smaller more powerful bikes that we can use to actually race with when we change a few things like fairings and (just like the ZX-6RR/599cc Race bike) have a blast at the race track without the initial $10,000+ out of pocket expenses. Okay a 50cc bike would be cool, too, but the real fun would be in something like the GP bikes. It would get lots of people interested in racing, and if nothing else it ould allow our youth (okay some of us old folks, too) to go out on the track and see how it still feels to fly free without the fear of hurting inocents, or dying because of things on the road like shovels, rakes, ladders, and finding peopel driving cars and trucks that can't seem to see us. Kawasaki has some great engines already...so take them from the KNOBBY BOYS put them in a lightweight aluminum racing frame and get sticky tires.....gee, I'm so upset and hurt that Kawasaki can't get something started, and promote not only safety but racing for our youth, our future GP riders...

See less See more
#7 ·
Apirila 250

Apirila still sells their bike here in the US....What gives?

Freakinout

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:42 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The motoGP racing uses 125cc and 250cc two stroke motors. Which won't be able to be ridden legally on the street. They'd never pass emissions.

www.mirc.com

#11 ·
CRAZY LAWS

Laws shouldn't apply to racing...just like aircraft fuel 100LL isn't taxed for road use, and farm diesel (cheaper) has a red dye in it so that the DOT can sample and catch those diesel guys on the road who cheat...

#12 ·
Re: CRAZY LAWS

ZX-2R said:
Laws shouldn't apply to racing...just like aircraft fuel 100LL isn't taxed for road use, and farm diesel (cheaper) has a red dye in it so that the DOT can sample and catch those diesel guys on the road who cheat...
I'm not talking about racing. I'm talking about street ridden bikes. You can use two strokes off of public roads.

#13 ·
Re: CRAZY LAWS

Freakinout said:
ZX-2R said:
I'm not talking about racing. I'm talking about street ridden bikes. You can use two strokes off of public roads.
Most of the RS250's I've seen were set up for the track. No mirrors, no blinkers, no headlight etc. I have seen several that have been converted and they are still available that way at dealerships that still have carry over stock. Aprillia stopped bringing them to the US as I think it was Suzuki's engines were no longer available to them and so they just let the program go. If you go on ebay or cycle trader you can see the RS250 still exists and I've seen several registered even in strict CA.

#14 ·
Racing//250 4Stroke even

I know that Kawasaki has the technology, even honda has it...to race smaller bikes here in the US. It's just a shame that we can't have an inexpensive bike that we could use on the racetrack, or even to run on the road. A Ninja 250 is fast enough to play with, but advancing the timing, playin gwith several things could make it a fun bike for the track. Even if it's a four stroke we need to bring the grassroots back into the hobby and let almost anyone experience it. I say almost everyone because just like dirt track you have some that will never qualify on the track and some that just don't have the sportsmanship to be allowed on the track...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.