Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I'm looking at the Zumo personally - it's one of, if not the best on the market.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I just bought the zumo 550, but its been too cold to try it out. But I did have a Garmin Quest this past year and it was really nice to have. If you like doing long trips its nice to have to help you get there.

As for bike specific GPS Garmin 550 and tom tom rider 2 are really the only ones made. AFter reading the reviews I went with the 550.

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi for christmas and love it!! So I too will be looking at the Garmin Zumo....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i read the reviews on the 550 and some were saying that it was hard to program. will wait to hear from you guy and gals that have them. let us know. there is a new one out from lowrance the xog it can be used for the bike it has a bike mount, also for the car and water and hikeing.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
I've got two Zumo 550's, so I guess you could say I like them. They come with good PC software (MapSource) and, if you're buying the North American model, complete North American maps are available in both the GPS and the PC software. The only complaint I have with the Zumo is that preparing a trip route with the PC software is very easy, but trying to do it directly on the GPS unit is extremely hard. On the GPS, when you insert waypoints from the map, the maps zooms back out to your home position. Inserting a waypoint on the GPS takes like 15 screen presses and some menu traversal for each waypoint/via. On the PC the same thing takes a mouse click.

Also note that the hardwired audio output comes from a connector in the mounting base (bike or auto) AND it requires that the unit be running on external DC power, so you can't use the Zumo as a hand-held standalone GPS and MP3 player, like if you're hiking. Bluetooth audio output does however function when on internal battery power. I've read claims that the bluetooth audio is mono-only, but I have no way to confirm directly.

On the bike, the Zumo is great. The 450 can be bought for about $200 less than the 550 and you lose a bit of functionality. Apart from bluetooth/street name pronunciation and the ability to hook up the external XM receiver/antenna, I think the main thing left out in the 450 package is the auto base and power cord which will cost you about $110 separately. I have the external XM receiver and use it a lot while I'm commuting.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I have the Quest and like it a lot. I guess I'd choose the Zumo if I only ever used it on the bike, but i like the compact size of the Quest. I can remove it and jam it in my pocket when out hiking or whatever.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I enjoy the Zumo 550. I can ride in a general direction until I am thoroughly lost or out of time, then hit the home button. The Bluetooth is crappie mono.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've read that all Bluetooth is mono but does the sound quality depend mostly on what third-party Bluetooth headset you use? I have been looking at the Scala FM bluetooth setup so that I can pair the Zumo and my cell phone. If I skip the phone I could use the audio plug in and the cheap but decent thin speakers I have in my helmet now for use with my Ipod.

I just don't see buying the Zumo 450 when I would lose most of the price advantage after buying accessories to use it in my car, even if I ignore the technical differences of Bluetooth and spoken street names.

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
I have the Zumo 550 and love it! I used the software on the computer to plan out a trip through CA, NV and UT. We wanted to stay off the super slabs as much as possible. That made planning the trip a little more difficult as the program wants to compute what roads you take to get to each waypoint. We ended up putting a whole bunch of waypoints on little state roads to keep us off the interstates. We then exported it into Google Earth so we could see our route on a satellite image. That helped us catch a couple dirt roads we decided to change. Once we were happy with it, we downloaded it to the Zumo and off we went. All in all, it worked out very well. We'll use it in the cage as well. The car mount has a built in speaker so you can hear directions. On the motorcycle, I use the Scala FM bluetooth headset.

·
683 Posts
has anyone figured out a way to do your trip on google maps and then download into your gps. i plan my rides on google maps and then manually program them into my gps. Any GPS wants to route you their way, I know you can select no this or no that, but I want to choose certain roads for my rides

·
Registered
252 Posts
Confused... I tried to do this for like two weeks with google maps, and my Nuvi 750. I was never able to get it to work correctly. It will import you stops/location as waypoint, but will normally find the fastest route, and not your more scenic route. It is too bad because google maps is so easy to use with the dragging of the routes. If you have a Garmin device you can do it in the Mapsource software pretty easily, but still not as easy as Google maps.

P.S I have the Nuvi 750 for both the car for the wife, and with 5 hour battery and ac/charger I can use it on bike trips as well. Nice little unit.

* If you are getting a GPS mainly for motorcycle make sure it allows you to do routing. Several of the entry level units not made for motorcycles do not have this feature. Routing allows you to setup your own custom scenic route, instead of the normal fastest from A to B on Freeways that the GPS will try to do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the Zumo 550 and love it! I used the software on the computer to plan out a trip through CA, NV and UT. We wanted to stay off the super slabs as much as possible. That made planning the trip a little more difficult as the program wants to compute what roads you take to get to each waypoint. We ended up putting a whole bunch of waypoints on little state roads to keep us off the interstates. We then exported it into Google Earth so we could see our route on a satellite image. That helped us catch a couple dirt roads we decided to change. Once we were happy with it, we downloaded it to the Zumo and off we went. All in all, it worked out very well. We'll use it in the cage as well. The car mount has a built in speaker so you can hear directions. On the motorcycle, I use the Scala FM bluetooth headset.
Sounds like you had a good time with the Zumo. How was the sound quality with the Scala FM (listen to any music)? I want to use a Zumo for a trip from DC to Yellowstone this summer.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
My buddy has a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones that he uses with his cell phone for calls and music at work. They sound better than most over the ear headphones under $100 when paired with his phone. When paired with the Zumo they sound like [email protected] dull, muffled, mono [email protected] I was very disappointed. If you want to listen to music with the Zumo, go with the standard wired connection.

Everything else on the Zumo works great!!!

·
683 Posts
Confused... I tried to do this for like two weeks with google maps, and my Nuvi 750. I was never able to get it to work correctly. It will import you stops/location as waypoint, but will normally find the fastest route, and not your more scenic route. It is too bad because google maps is so easy to use with the dragging of the routes. If you have a Garmin device you can do it in the Mapsource software pretty easily, but still not as easy as Google maps.

P.S I have the Nuvi 750 for both the car for the wife, and with 5 hour battery and ac/charger I can use it on bike trips as well. Nice little unit.

* If you are getting a GPS mainly for motorcycle make sure it allows you to do routing. Several of the entry level units not made for motorcycles do not have this feature. Routing allows you to setup your own custom scenic route, instead of the normal fastest from A to B on Freeways that the GPS will try to do.
I too tried for days. When they come out with a model that intergrates with google maps then that is what I will get. For now mine can go 10+ hours on battery and I can trip my route the way I want to go.

·
900 Custom Owner
46 Posts
I have a Zumo 550. I absolutely love it. It is easy to use, works well with a glove on, has great software for mapping out routes, and is a blast to use. I have also played some GeoCaching which is integrated nicely with the unit. I also like the screen because even in sunlight, you can see it clearly. Worth every penny.

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Zumo 550 for me. I'm getting E6i's for stereo MP3's. I dont' talk on the phone. Plus the wifey gets to use it in the car.

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
MTNFSH, I did put some mp3's on it and tried to listen to music through the Scala Rider headset. It sounded horrible. Pointless really. It works perfectly for allowing you to hear the voice giving you turning instructions though.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts