Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this off of Ebay, It uses the bracket that came with the GPS. Looks pretty good. Now I just hope the stock bracket is strong enough to hold onto the GPS when I get up to speed. I'm gonna be so ****ed if that $300 toy goes flying off down the interstate! :shock:

Here's the pics, bikes a little dirty, but its too freaking cold to wash it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
*wide eyed* Oooooh. *paws at the screen* I'm so jealous.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Got this off of Ebay, It uses the bracket that came with the GPS. Looks pretty good. Now I just hope the stock bracket is strong enough to hold onto the GPS when I get up to speed. I'm gonna be so ****ed if that $300 toy goes flying off down the interstate! :shock:
I don't have to worry. Mine was a Christmas gift so I have no investment.:cool:

However, if it went flying down the interstate :mad: , I would still be out $300 or so because I really want one now.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
"Now I just hope the stock bracket is strong enough to hold onto the GPS when I get up to speed."

I know it won't look too cool - but hey - that's why they make duct tape. :) Seriously, I'd attach some type of safety cord or something to at least keep it with you in case it has wings. I do the same with my camcorder. I don't really care if it looks bad (well -not real bad), but I want that thing to stay with me if possible. I have it bolted to the mount, but I have a bungee cord attached, just in case.

========
BTW: this thing is still a work-in-progress for me. Gotta clean it up a bit. :)

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
Top speed? what 87-88mph? .....lol just flamin' ya.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
I had the same fear with the ball and socket type original mount. So I went for the clunkier, but perhaps more secure mount below....

I too can't wait for warmer weather. Riding when in the teens just isn't quite as fun. Watching the ice crystals form on your face shield...and then having the tears freeze to your cheeks when you lift the visor cause you can't see through the ice.....

Springs right around the corner!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1 on the more secure mount.
I use a RAM mount with all of my GPS units... works great even on the dirtbike (no, the Nuvi660 does NOT go on the dirtbike!).

That mount MIGHT be secure enough, but if there's a wrist strap pin on the body, I would at the very least run a zip-tie through it and "leash" it to the bar.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Looks great, Dare!

Is that a Garmin Nuvi?

I have the Nuvi 200 mounted on mine and love it.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Thats the same mount Im getting ready to use for my GPS, looks fairly sturdy to me.

I grabbed a cheapy Garmin StreetPilot i3 to use for an MC GPS - price was $100 from TigerDirect so Im not out much if it gets stolen or takes off down the road.

·
Registered
340 Posts
take the bracket off and make a fiberglass mold that the gps "slips" down into

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I've been thinking about using my wife's TomTom XL on my bike (haven't run that by her yet though :wink: ). I bought her a RAM mount for Christmas which, interestingly works with the RAM mount on my bike. Who'da thunk it? :wink:

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
take the bracket off and make a fiberglass mold that the gps "slips" down into
hey - great idea - but I have no idea how to do that. Can you give some ideas on some of the steps needed to do something like that?

Man - I love this forum - really good ideas all the time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just click the next box at the bottom of the page to move on, this will just give you a basic idea of how to make the fiberglass.
materials

You would have to find some way to make a mold of the gps, and if you want it to swivel the clip too. Otherwise I would take the ball mount off the bike and once the shell is made mold the shell to the ball and down the post alittle so it wont swivel (make sure its at the right angle first). If you want to and intend on painting and glossing it (which I figure you will) you could just cover up the whole post this will also make it alot sturdier.

Im thinking clay to use for the mold maybe but you would have to put some cookie paper or foil inbetween the clay and gps of course, I think cookie paper would be less prone to rip. Make sure the clay goes around the front outer rim of the gps. try to leave just enough play so that you can insert some weather stripping after your done to give it a nice tight grip because the fiberglass on plastic is gonna slide let the clay get nice and firm but not to the point where it will crack

Then I would take one of the thinest peices of fiberglass mat to do this. This would be just to make the shell. Once that dries take the mold out of the clay and make cutouts for any buttons and vents, it looks like you have a vent at the bottom on the back of it, make sure to dont choke the thing to death. Then make it thicker with more layers but on the OUTSIDE of the mold otherwise when you get done it will be too tight.

After you get a couple of layers on there so that its nice and stiff get it sanded down all smooth and sexy, then throw the paint and gloss on there, put the weather strips in, mount it to the bike and BAM!!! custom bracket that you wont find anywhere around you more than likely

OHHHH, one other thing, I would like to add that Personal Protective Equipment is paramount..I use a respirator vice those grass cutting masks.....those fumes WHEW and read the MSDS on the MEKP(aka) catalyst. You can go blind and even worse.

I know it seems like a little much to go through for a bracket but once you learn you can do alot of stuff fiberglassing, and its a nice little project thats small to start on

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thats about all I can offer right now, any other ideas would be nice. I've never done fiberglassing but have researched it alot because I intend to fiberglass my trunk in my car to give my sound system a nice clean look that takes up less space. The rest is just how I would do it if I knew how to fiberglass, but youve got the web page for the fiberglassing part and me for the brackt idea.

There are other sites where people show pictures while they do it in their cars, you might want to check a car audio site or 2 out. Heres 2 for starters

matter of fact heres one with pics
Tutorial- Kickpod - SPLBassX.Com Forums
and heres a list of other sites
Fiberglass How To's - Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
no more ideas???, I would think someone would have a good suggestion or something I missed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts