Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Swank
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a mount for the GPS to use on my V2K that has the Barons Kong apes. The bars are 1.25 inch in diameter. There are some mounts that have the metal U-bolt, but I'd rather not use something like that for fear of damaging the chrome on the bars. I'd rather have a mount like this one that is plastic and foam, but they only seem to go up to 1 inch bar diameter.

All I need is for the mount to have a ball on the end that accepts the female clip for the Garmin. The clip accepts the power cable rather than the power cable attaching directly to the GPS unit itself. Any know of such a mount offhand that doesn't use the metal U-bolt or another creative idea? I run without a windshield, by the way.

Thanks, gang.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ram has a ball assembly that clamps on with a stainless steel hose clamp type unit. Part number RAM-B-108BU

You still have to buy the rest of the mount, and swap the ball at the base.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I used the U-clamp style you linked to from RAm on my old V2K for a few years. I put a strip of rubber between the clamp and the bars and it never scratched or marked anything.

·
Swank
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I may be stuck with the U-bolt, but I am kinda liking the looks of the aluminum mount from ebay that Makkat posted. Maybe I could get some sort of buffer between the mount and bar if there's enough play... Free shipping and good seller feedback makes it more enticing.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I just got the RAM mount (for Nextar) and it came with a plastic clamp that goes inside the u-bolt to protect the bars.

·
PH in training
5,111 Posts
Thanks, guys. I may be stuck with the U-bolt, but I am kinda liking the looks of the aluminum mount from ebay that Makkat posted. Maybe I could get some sort of buffer between the mount and bar if there's enough play... Free shipping and good seller feedback makes it more enticing.
Mine came with a plastic insert to go around the bar.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...63863-stock-color-97-800-classic-img_0149.jpg

Not the best picture, but you can see the mount and the spacer.

·
PH in training
5,111 Posts
That's cool. Was the spacer to get it to a 1 inch diameter bar? I think I may go for that one...
Edited as I found my spare units.

The 1" unit appears to have a spacer to shim from 1.05" down to 1". The 1-1/4" unit appears to be true without a spacer. I have both sizes mounted on bicycles without the spacers and haven't seen any marring on the bars from the mount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also want a GPS for the bike? a friend of mine saw the new Strike Genius in action at the Gold Coast show last month. Looks to be the goods. Software has been customised for the bike so it is easy to operate. Not sure on the price point yet. Anyone heard?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts