Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a gps mount on there 900 or bike without a windshield? Im thinking about getting one for my 900 custom but nervous that without a windshield it couldnt with stand the wind. If any does what kind do you have and do you like it?

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Have a RAM mount on the Meanie for my Garmin. No windshield, but the mount and the GPS stay put just fine. Even at *ahem* above legal speeds....

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Have a RAM mount on the Meanie for my Garmin. No windshield, but the mount and the GPS stay put just fine. Even at *ahem* above legal speeds....
I also recomment the RAM mount. I have one on my 1600 and it doesn't budge at speeds, with or without the windshield.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Ram mount here also. Located dead center between forks on handlebar with a windshield.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ram Mount here. No way the wind will affect it if you bolt it down tight. I would be more concerned with a flying rock smashing the back of it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I rode my 1600 all last summer with a Ram mounted GPS and no windshield. Steady as a rock.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If ya got as GPS unit and your just going to go riding in the country ( out side the city )what type of destination so you enter so you don't get lost.

If I have a destination in mind I just do a google map search and go. I supose if your lost it would be handy to enter your home address, but other than that and going on a road trip I don't see the necessity.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Well, it gives you an accurate speed vs the speedo on the bike. If you do get lost you can hit "home" and it'll get you there.

If I'm doing an organized ride, I do google maps to plan my routes, type up directions in notepad and print them out and tape them to my windshield. I use the GPS to look ahead for my next turn, what the road looks like coming up (straight, twisty, etc), and to generally help me when I'm leading a ride.

Do you need it? No. Does it help? Yes.

·
Michigan Back Road Rider
293 Posts
Ram Mounts are the way to go

I have used the Ram mount on the Custom for three years now with no problems. Very robust. If you mount a GPS that is not waterproof like a Nuvii then you need to tape the speaker holes to keep the bugs out.

You can get a pretty good deal on a mount at RAM Mounts Page @ GPS City

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
I find it all very confusing in that I have no idea what I need to mount a gps on my bike. And what's with a 1" ball? How is that connected to the much smaller socket in the back of the gps holder thingee, where the power cord connects?

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Garmin sells a handle bar mount for my Nuvi350, wouldn't surprise me they have one for your 550 too. Mine is very sturdy, don't look like a modified mirror stalk like some of the RAM mounts

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Garmin sells a handle bar mount for my Nuvi350, wouldn't surprise me they have one for your 550 too. Mine is very sturdy, don't look like a modified mirror stalk like some of the RAM mounts
Part of my problem is that a handle bar/clamp mount won't work on my bike. I'm not having a lot of luck finding something that will.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I have seen a couple guys on the Venture site that took a stainless plate, cut and shaped it to be a copy of the clutch master cyl. They then mounted a stalk on top of the plate to mount the swivel part of the mount to.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I find it all very confusing in that I have no idea what I need to mount a gps on my bike. And what's with a 1" ball? How is that connected to the much smaller socket in the back of the gps holder thingee, where the power cord connects?

here you can see the handlebar mount w/a ball on the end that's connected w/an arm which is connected to a dual ball extension connected to another arm to the camera mount ball. the Ball's are the same size.

same mount but w/my GPS mount added on which has a ball mount on the back

and this is it. they are easily adjusted to how you want them

·
Registered
574 Posts
If ya got as GPS unit and your just going to go riding in the country ( out side the city )what type of destination so you enter so you don't get lost.

If I have a destination in mind I just do a google map search and go. I supose if your lost it would be handy to enter your home address, but other than that and going on a road trip I don't see the necessity.
I may go from KY to NC and take all back roads. I will assure you doing that means google maps really isn't going to hack it. Sure if you want to mess with some paper maps 3 pages deep and try to keep an eye on the mileage trying to calculate the next turn, I guess you can. But for a $99 GPS and all the features even that gives you, it is a no brainer.

You wouldn't want to head to West Virginia to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, get lost, and see some cross eyed kid playing the banjo. You'll be glad you got your GPS.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts