Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a GPS receiver mounted on their sportbike? If so, would you mind telling us a little about your setup and maybe posting a photo? TIA!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm thinking it might not be the best idea to have something like that on your bike. Fooling with the buttons while riding is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links, whistle. This company has a myriad of mounts, extra mirrors, lights, etc., too: SAENG ****pit Mounts http://www.saeng.com/

Tobydawg said:
I'm thinking it might not be the best idea to have something like that on your bike. Fooling with the buttons while riding is an accident waiting to happen.
You're right, Tobydawg. You wouldn't want to try navigating with a GPS while riding. However, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a clock for my 500R. I'd thought of mounting one of those fancy Casio watches that also tells the temperature, altitude, etc. Then, the other day in Target, I saw a small, horizontal layout GPS receiver (don't remember the make & model) and thought that would do almost everything I wanted PLUS give me a great navigational aid. The cost for a GPS receiver these days is on par with the dedicated bike trip computers and they don't require any sensor mounts on the bike. I'd like to mount the GPS behind the windscreen, in the odd-shaped hole left-of-center and just above the instrument cluster.

Any thoughts or observations?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Neo said:
You're right, Tobydawg. You wouldn't want to try navigating with a GPS while riding. However, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a clock for my 500R. I'd thought of mounting one of those fancy Casio watches that also tells the temperature, altitude, etc. Then, the other day in Target, I saw a small, horizontal layout GPS receiver (don't remember the make & model) and thought that would do almost everything I wanted PLUS give me a great navigational aid. The cost for a GPS receiver these days is on par with the dedicated bike trip computers and they don't require any sensor mounts on the bike. I'd like to mount the GPS behind the windscreen, in the odd-shaped hole left-of-center and just above the instrument cluster.

Any thoughts or observations?
I feel ya on the whole clock ordeal. I think the idea to have the gps is great, just seems a bit overkill. would you take it off the bike when your parked? i'd be afraid someone would steal it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tobydawg said:
I feel ya on the whole clock ordeal. I think the idea to have the gps is great, just seems a bit overkill. would you take it off the bike when your parked? i'd be afraid someone would steal it.

Hmmm. Good question. I hadn't thought about that. I guess it would depend on just how well I could mount the receiver and how well it was hidden to the casual observer. If I could do a near-factory type mount with concealed hardware, I'd leave it on. Otherwise, I'd have to consider the (in)convenience of peeling it off and sticking it in my pocket at nearly every destination. (Rats! Why is the world so full of thieves? I mean, I was raised to respect other people and their property.)

As for overkill...well, I'd settle for a nice, illuminated analog clock that fit in place of the handlebar centertube cap, but nobody makes one. Too, I'd hate to just Velcro a cheap watch to the bike. If I'm going to get a digital watch, I'm going to get one that also has temperature, altitude, etc. And by the time you've spent $50 on a watch, you could just drop another $50 or so and get a low end GPS with all that functionality and more. Or at least that's my line of thought.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Neo, I received a Garmin GPS V for Christmas. It will be on my bike by spring. Have used it several time in my truck and love it. Just received my mounting bracket to install it on my bike. As the weather has been bad have not put it on yet. Will let you know when I do and take some pics, here is the mount I bought.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/15209.4.13891142063020671521/ramb149ga2.html

As for navigation, unless you want to look at a different screen there is no button pushing needed. I can custom set the window to get all the info I need on 1 page. Think I will really like it, but will let you know when I finally get it on and tried, though may be a while.

Joe

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hey thanks for the links guys! :)

I plan on using my GPS this summer (when mama nature melts away) and will use a mount also. And yes....it is removeable so you can secure it when leaving the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts