Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently bought a gps for my 97 kw 1500 classic and I was wondering if anyone else put a lighter socket on their bike and where did you put it.

thanks

Bill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tap in directly to the battery with a fuse inline if you want it hot all the time.

If you want it switched, tap into the headlight and add a relay that pulls in when the headlight is on. Using a relay is simple and isolates the outlet from adding extra loading to existing wiring harness.

In any case use an inline fuse and use high quality crimp connectors, don't add a potential problem with twisted wires and tape.

I did it on my 900 works great. I don't have a schematic of the 1500 so wire colors would probably be different.
A voltmeter and some simple checks would tell you which wires to tap into.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I bought a handlebar mount 12v outlet from the local dealer for about $16. Wired it into the headlight, works great. I think its made by Emgo. Basic black plastic.

Nice chrome ones are spendy......

·
Registered
80 Posts
SgtWilliam, if your GPS is a Garmin and you don't intend to use the cigarette lighter socket for anything else, check out the Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable. Very clean when wired to the headlight, no excess bulky cable laying on your bars.

Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable (GPSCity.com)
this is what i did with mine.....wired it to the accessory plugs in the headlight....nice thing is it will power my garmin AND charge my blackberry......

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I wired mine direct to the battery and unplug it and take it into the hotel with me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
SgtWilliam, if your GPS is a Garmin and you don't intend to use the cigarette lighter socket for anything else, check out the Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable. Very clean when wired to the headlight, no excess bulky cable laying on your bars.

Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable (GPSCity.com)
I'm considering installing a cigarette lighter, but this caught my attention too. Is this something only available with GPSCity or is it also maybe available in a store like Auto Zone etc?

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
there should be a lead off the pos terminal off the battery under the seat. i tapped into that, fuse protected it, and ran a line under the tank out the front and mounted a power socket on the front on the windshield bracket.

I cremped the connections with heat wrap to keep moisture out. fuse protected it again on the other end, only so i can remove the fuse and kill the power to it when i want, without taking the seat off. i cleaned the wires up by tieing them off, taping them off so everything looks clean and there isnt a rats nest of wires all over.

got a ram mount for my model of gps and wala, done deal.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I mounted mine on the inside windshield support bracket, which is mostly hidden, then ran the quick disconnect wire directly to my fuse box next to the battery. Therefore, when I remove my shield, I unplug the adapter as it's now part of the shield, then plug in when I put the shield back on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm considering installing a cigarette lighter, but this caught my attention too. Is this something only available with GPSCity or is it also maybe available in a store like Auto Zone etc?
i got mine on ebay for $9 or something...

·
Registered
19 Posts
my lighter unit is mounted on the triple fork top cover on left hand side and wired thru the ignition switch, so when bike is off so is power to oulet.

When Diplomacy fails use superior firepower

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, I followed instructions from another thread, purchased a waterproof lighter from Pep Boys, got an inline fuse, and ran it from the wire under the seat to the front and mounted on the side near the windshield. Looks very professional now. I know it's "hot" all the time so I have to remember to unplug anything I might be using before leaving the bike for long periods of time.

This forum has been a great help to me and this was no exception. Thanks to everyone for helpful hints and recommendations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts