Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm currently riding a small Honda 125cc bike and saw a lovely Kawasaki GPX 400 in a dealership here in Cork, Ireland. I saw it by chance there and asked about it. They are looking for €1700 for it which I think is a bit on the high side for such an old bike....it's a 1987 bike.

It has 40,000 kilometres on the clock and is in mint condition, it was brought over from Japan a few years ago and has obviously been kept in good nick although the exhaust downpipes do have a bit of rust on them but it seems to be only surface stuff, not flaking or anything so I shouldn't be worried should I?

Witht the way the bike market is in Ireland right now I could get a much newer bike for the same amount of money, something like an SV650s or similar.

Basically what I want is a bike to take me to college and back everyday (8 miles x2), that is relatively comfy, that I can insure, that won't break my heart with reliability problems and that I can cruise at 70 or 80mph on.

The GPX 400 ticks all of those boxes but with it being so old I have my doubts about being able to use it as an everyday machine.

Can I get people's opinions on it???

Thanks everyone!:-D

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Well since you can't verify any history on the bike there is no way of knowing what sort of shape everything is in. If you are looking for a daily rider that you can count on maybe you should look at a late model 250 ninja. I would think you could get a decent one for that amount of money but I'm not sure how the market compares there to what it is here. It should certainly fill all the requirements you have.

·
Registered
437 Posts
For an everyday machine, I would go with as new as I could get. I love my old bike, but everyday just does not happen. And with the newer bike the parts market will be easier to use.

I'd love to have the 400 though, see what you mean. Get a newer bike.

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
You may find that the 400 is costlier to insure than a modern 600 as it is an import.
Parts will be harder to find in the event of a claim, and 1700 Euro's is a bit steep IMO for that old a bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys I appreciate them all...

I was thinking mainly what you guys were thinking - parts may be hard to find and as an everyday machine it might be a bit old. Hate to say it but I can get an SV650s (though it is a Suzuki obviously) for the same money. Dunno how if that would be better or not sure...

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
The V twin engine in the 650 is a cracking engine. I have the 996 version in my Vstrom.

IMO Suzuki build quality is not brilliant, but then if you are comparing to a 22 year old Kawasaki, probably not much difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah you're probably right there....have heard that the Suzuki frame and bits and bobs can be awful to deal with in the winters that we have here in Ireland (and for you in Britain too). Rain etc aren't nice to the thin paint Suzuki are fond of apparently!

Still, it says something when a ten year Suzuki is being compared to a 22 year old Kwaker....Kwaks were/are built well then are they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.