Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then...Where do I start.

A few months ago my 1988 GPX600r (21k on the clock) developed a problem with acceleration when petrol went onto reserve. i thought at the time that one of the fuel pipes was possibly creased due to me having the tank off to change the steering head bearings. I checked this and were no creases so just made sure that i didn't fall into reserve. Well the problem started to happen when the tank was a quarter full so a couple of weeks ago I drained the tank and guess what....a load of rusty type crap came out. Since then it doesn't seem to be firing properly. I have changed the plugs and today have had the carbs off and cleaned the bowls and checked the jets and all seem quite clean to me. Put them back on and still not firing right. Seems to not be missing (have checked for sparks on all 4 plugs and all ok) just sounds sluggish and runs poorly at low and high speed. There is no damage to any of the fuel pipes or vacuum pipes, the fuel filter seems ok and clean.
Anyone got any ideas of what i can look at next - Thanks Tony

ps - if the valve clearances arn't right would this cause the above, although i do feel it's something to do with the fuel intake due to everything being ok before the dirty tank...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Right then...Where do I start.

A few months ago my 1988 GPX600r (21k on the clock) developed a problem with acceleration when petrol went onto reserve. i thought at the time that one of the fuel pipes was possibly creased due to me having the tank off to change the steering head bearings. I checked this and were no creases so just made sure that i didn't fall into reserve. Well the problem started to happen when the tank was a quarter full so a couple of weeks ago I drained the tank and guess what....a load of rusty type crap came out. Since then it doesn't seem to be firing properly. I have changed the plugs and today have had the carbs off and cleaned the bowls and checked the jets and all seem quite clean to me. Put them back on and still not firing right. Seems to not be missing (have checked for sparks on all 4 plugs and all ok) just sounds sluggish and runs poorly at low and high speed. There is no damage to any of the fuel pipes or vacuum pipes, the fuel filter seems ok and clean.
Anyone got any ideas of what i can look at next - Thanks Tony

ps - if the valve clearances arn't right would this cause the above, although i do feel it's something to do with the fuel intake due to everything being ok before the dirty tank...
You should clean your tank well if it can't be cleaned out then line it ..Put an inline filter and really clean your main jets And carbs good any trash will cause problems..Go Ahead and adjust the valves can't hurt only help.. Check your prtcock for good fuel flow trash could have got in your petcock causeing poor fuel flow..Some things to check Have a great Day Bro.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still not fixed. Went to work on it today and it sounded like a bleeding taxi...There is one thing I have noticed however. When i start him up with the choke on there is a few 'pops' coming out of one of the exhausts. Any ideas ? I will take the carbs off again and completely strip down soon - Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.