Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post and i am very sorry if this is in the wrong section, but i was wondering if anybody on here can help me

i have a set of carbs off a GPZ 1000 RX to go on a project and i was wondering if there are any aftermarket trumpet/airbox mounting pannels available? i have looked on google but cant find what i am looking for

thank you very much for any help!

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
Actually, we're pretty helpful. And considering the amount of talent that I've seen from members that have been around here for a long time, I'd say this is the spot that you'll want to be on. Maybe reel in that 'tude just a hair.

What is an intake mounting panel? Do you mean the intake manifolds? The black things the carbs go into? If so, then I'd look at Z1Enterprises.com.

But since you didn't include a year or exact model (I'm thinking a ZX1000 A or B, etc) that a lot of folks just aren't going to pop in here and post a bunch of links if you aren't going to do just a bit of information giving.

There is stuff all around out there. I found a ton of stuff in a couple of minutes of general searching on Google. Even the history of it. We just need a little bit of effort from you and you'll be amazed at what can happen around here. Feel free to do a search of this forum as well. I find most of the information from just searching here. Most everything has been covered by someone, somewhere at some time. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fair do's, sorry, i am not really well up on bikes, all i know is they are off a 86 GPZ 1000 RX, i will be building my own manifold

i am basically just wondering if there is a company that makes up a back plate that i can mount on the carbs, intake side, that will allow me to mount trumpets onto the carbs, as i will not be using the standard air box

or even trumpets that will slip over and clamp on?

i am a car man at heart so dont really know where i should be lookin

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
OK. Are you wanting to do away with the air filters all together or put on individual air filters? If so, they're typically called Pods. K&N makes individual pods for those carbs. A lot of what you'll be looking for will actually be for the Ninja name, as a lot of stuff was Ninja with a couple of things being different for the GPz.

I think that you'll have a 54mm opening for the carbs, about 2 1/8". K&N has a filter that will fit. But really, any pod with a 54mm/2 1/8" opening will work.

K&N

eBay for a set

You may have a problem with the carbs trying to fall out of the intakes due to not having the rear support of the airbox boots to hold them up. Some guys make a little brake to help support the back of the carbs to keep them from falling. It will depend on how/what you want seen to determine what style you may want to use. Anything from a coat hanger to a machined bracket can be used, your choice/design.

Also, depending on altitude (I'm in Denver, so jetting gets complicated) and exhaust, you may even have to rejet for the pods. But checking your plugs after installing them will tell if you're running rich or lean due to the pods. Some have not re-jetted when installing pods and have zero issues. Just watch your temps and check your plugs to make sure.

Hope this helps. I'm a car guy as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh, i didnt know that i could search for Ninja items, thank you!

i am gonna be re-jetting the carbs as the will be feeding a 2.1 engine so will need jetting up, 1.8mm to start with and i will see how i go on, will get my hands on a colourtune if i can

this is the kind of thing i was meanin when i say backing plate, i have no idea what they are really called

as i would be able to adapt the plate and fit on some bigger trumpets ;)

and i am guessin you are now wondering "2.1 what the hell is he on about?"

well they will not be goin on a bike ;) they are going on this

thank you for the help, and sorry again for being a bit arsey!

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
So you're going to be putting it on a car engine? Interesting!

Are you separating them for the individual cylinders? If so, then are you going to be making adapters to go in between the carbs for syncing them up?

We run a hopped up SR20 engine in our tube chassis 350Z SCCA GT car. We put on individual throttle bodies for the fuel injection, but they came already set up for the syncing and bolted on. Had to get them from Australia.

Your license plate looks funny too. I'm guessing you're from across the pond?

And don't worry about being arsey, I live near Boulder, Colorado. I get arsey from them all the time. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah, i will be doing something like this for the manifold so i dont need to seperate the carbs and cause more complication

and aye, i am from the UK

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
Nice setup there! Where the allen head plugs are, I'd put some small barbed inserts there so that you could use a mercrometer for balancing them. The just put vacuum caps on them when not in use. It would be an excellent tuning tool.

I use an infrared thermometer for tuning. I take the temps of the exhaust pipes to see if we're running lean or rich comparatively. Between those two tools, and looking at the plugs, you can't go wrong!

And having a manifold like that, taking the rack (the set of carbs we call a rack) for jet changes would be soooooo much easier.

I like your thinking! Kinda wish we had gone that way with our setup. I don't think the racing rules would have allowed it.

But if you can, I'd look at maybe some larger carbs off a bigger bike. The displacement of each cylinder might overcome the capacity of the individual carb. But if you took the carbs off of something bigger then the jetting and when everything kicks in might be better suited for your application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they should be alright, i have seen a 2ltr Pinto (same engine as mine but not as tuned) running Yam R6's carbs, with the choke size of these carbs they are the equivelent to a pair of Twin 40 Webbers

i will be leaving the tubes solid and using the vac tubes on the carbs them selves to balance up the carbs i think as the manifold will look neater that way, just buy some balancing guages and do them 2 at a time 1-3, 2-4 to start with, then fine tune by balancing them all off each other and i will use a Gunson Colourtune to get the fuel/air mix right

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I'll have to look into that colortune. Sounds like a cool little gadget.

Are you racing this or is it for fun? I like the fun stuff, racing is starting to get a bit old. Too many rules!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is my daily car and play thing :)

link for some info about the colourtune, they seem very handy! i have yet to use one but i have spoken to people and they have gotten the same results from one of these than thery have gotten from a rolling road session, which is pretty good!

Gunson Colortune Carbureter tuner for Motorcycles, Cars 10mm Plug

i have never bothered with one before because with the single downdraught carb its impossible to get the mixes perfect, but with 1 carb per cylinder i should hopefully be able to get them all just right :)

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I think I just added another tool to my wish list.

My wife hates you now. :biggrin:

But I ever get to the UK, I'll look for a screaming white car that sounds like a Ninja.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts