Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I have picked up a box full of gpz which I have nearly rebuilt. I am stuck with the fuel /vaccum and fuel gauge sender as to what hoses go where can anyone help cheers. photos would be great

·
Registered
313 Posts
You have to get a service manual to figure that stuff out. They can be had in .pdf form. Getting harder to find free ones. Not sure if this is your bike, a picture would be helpful, as well as the full model name including any code numbers. I believe your bike was the same as the GPZ900, just bored smaller, but otherwise shared the same frame and components.. ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Find the model number on the neck of the bike. It's the best place to start. I thought you mean the gauges were on the tan. Words , well, a pictures says a 1000 words. You can attach [ictures using the attachment clip (looks like a paper clip) on the bottom tray. ;)

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
... I am stuck with the fuel /vaccum and fuel gauge sender as to what hoses go where can anyone help cheers. photos would be great
When faced with a problem like this I always start with the appropriate parts listing diagrams. In this case let's look at the carb assembly diagram. If you study it and the part descriptions carefully, a lot of information can be found.

For instance, the parts listing will often give you the inside diameter, the outside diameter and the length of the hose. The clamp for the hose may include a description like "Clamp, air vent hose". Sometimes you will see the end of the hose has a little label inside a circle like "A" with a circle around the "A". This means that hose connects somewhere that also has the same letter "A". It's a bit like playing a game of "Where's Waldo" but with enough study, you can usually figure it out. A service manual can also help because they may have photos or diagrams that show where the hoses go.

This link is for an 85 as I could not find a listing for an 86 750.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tank gauges means it's air cooled..?? Earlier year maybe?
View attachment 44321
The air cooled A models were available until 1988 IIRC so an 86 model is correct.

The R model was introduced in 1985 and both models were sold side by side for, I think, 3 years.

The fuel hose faces towards the back of the bike and the vacuum hose points across the top of the carbs. The vacuum hose connects to any one of the vacuum take off points on an inlet rubber.

The fuel hose connects to the tee piece between the middle two carbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks I have picked up a box full of gpz which I have nearly rebuilt. I am stuck with the fuel /vaccum and fuel gauge sender as to what hoses go where can anyone help cheers. photos would be great
For the fuel gauge sender, I'd guess that you are looking at part 14024 that is on the bottom of the gas tank - check the partzilla link that someone provided and look at the gas tank section.
Here's what I'm using for a reference.
I'm trying to get my zx550-A1 GPZ back on the road and I have the same question. That plastic cover has a nipple on it that would appear to be for a vacuum line or maybe its a vent or drain. I can see no diagrams that show a hose for that and the manual I have says nothing about it either.
Why would the fuel gauge sender/float mechanism need vacuum? That's why I think its probably just a vent or drain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the fuel gauge sender, I'd guess that you are looking at part 14024 that is on the bottom of the gas tank - check the partzilla link that someone provided and look at the gas tank section.
I did a little more digging because that part is used on many bikes and you can get some more details looking at
On the ZN1300 diagram, there's a part 702B Breather Hose attached to that nipple. To me, that's more evidence that it is just for venting and one some bikes has a vent hose and on some bikes, it does not.
I'm going to go with that for my 550 and leave it alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts