Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
The bike is coming along. Fixed the turn signals today and took it out for a little spin. That sucker is loud! It has a four-in-to-one of indeterminate make. I think it would be OK if it was not for the nickel and quarter size holes in it. I have checked a few websites and the only aftermarket exhaust I can find is a chrome Vance and Hines. Is this my only option? It resembles the pipe that is on there now. Except mine is painted black. Since there is no other chrome on the bike I would like to keep it chrome free but it is not a deal breaker.
Any ideas? I would love to have a Kerker since it is sort of an ELR clone.
TIA,

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
keep an eye on flea bay. they come up from time to time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Last time i checked, MAC made a 4-1 in black,and had fitment.

There are alot of stories around the internet about V&H's quality being sub par.

There is the very expensive X-pipe.

Nearly any 4-1 for a 650/750 4 cylinder should work, being that the motors are identical in this way, except maybe in minor hanging issues near the can. You could even get a chrome exhaust of of a 2000-2007 ZR-7, which is a very heavy 4-1, but has factory quality.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My .02 on the subject:

Ebay is probably your best bet. Plan on paying almost new prices if the pipe's in good shape too. Stay away from the X pipe, it's an old, old POS that was proven to be a load of BS in the 80's. I'd also rate a MAC as a poor replacement unless you can't get anything else. Look for a Kerker or a Yoshimura, or a Bassani. The Bassani will need all the fitment collars for the head, otherwise you'll spend a lot of cash getting parts machined.

Addendum: And the Bassani blocks the oil drain plug, which is why it has the special quick disconnect collars. The Yoshimura pipe may block the drain bolt as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I'll do the eBay thing but in the meantime I am going to put the stock exhaust back on (i was able to get them with the bike). I suppose I could weld up the holes too...
When the packing and the core blew out the end of my GPz550's exhaust (I don't recall the manufacturer) I replaced it with a Supertrap core for about $30. I worked really well and for a starving student the price was right.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
You might try just a slip on muffler.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Last time i checked, MAC made a 4-1 in black,and had fitment.

There are alot of stories around the internet about V&H's quality being sub par.

Nearly any 4-1 for a 650/750 4 cylinder should work, being that the motors are identical in this way, except maybe in minor hanging issues near the can. You could even get a chrome exhaust of of a 2000-2007 ZR-7, which is a very heavy 4-1, but has factory quality.
Same should be said for MAC. Not overly thrilled with mine.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
My .02 on the subject:

Ebay is probably your best bet. Plan on paying almost new prices if the pipe's in good shape too.
There are a alot of brand new (for old bikes) exhaust systems offered on ebay all the time from various sellers. Of course, they will be more pricey than a used one. But, the used one will probably be beat up and not seal at the joints.... maybe that's just mine.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same should be said for MAC. Not overly thrilled with mine.
Yeah, I'll bet the one on it is a MAC. It seems thin and cheap. It leaks from the joint and has holes in it. I'll bet all the packing has blown out as well it's so darn loud.
Thanks everyone

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet the one on it is a MAC. It seems thin and cheap. It leaks from the joint and has holes in it. I'll bet all the packing has blown out as well it's so darn loud.
Thanks everyone
My MAC has the opposite problem: the steel it's made from is so thick and hard the clamp rings don't do anything because the stuff doesn't bend (so the joints leak).

Mine has no packing, it's a steel core muffler. It has a nice low sound, not too loud.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My MAC has the opposite problem: the steel it's made from is so thick and hard the clamp rings don't do anything because the stuff doesn't bend (so the joints leak).

Mine has no packing, it's a steel core muffler. It has a nice low sound, not too loud.
Hmmm. I took another look at mine. The metal is thin where it is rotting through. Where the megaphone/cannister fits it is thick and there looks to be some gaps. No matter is sounds like a muscle car with blown out glasspacks.
Too loud. Much too loud.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
exhaust pics - 56kers go make a sandwich

Ok. I'm trying to save this exhaust. Can't justify a new one to the wife/accountant. Here is what we are dealing with:

I think it is a MAC. Hard to tell for sure.
I took the baffle out of it and I was surprised to see how little there was.
Here's a pic:

Can this piece be replaced? Should it be wrapped in f'glass? I have seen a MAC replacement baffle but it is much longer which is fine because I would rather have it quieter than louder. My other issue is the rust holes. It has rusted through in one place but seems pretty solid everywhere else. I was thinking some exhaust tape on the inside or even welding in a patch. IS it worth it? I would like to get another year out of before I replace it with a new 4 in 1.
Here is a pic of the hole:

Sorry for you 56kers. How do you make these pics smaller?
What do you all think?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think that the exhaust repair tape would not cost that much, and do a decent job. And I imagine that if you contacted MAC, they just might give you a dimension or two, worth a try in my opinion.
Don't just toss it when you get another one, I would probably use that one for a year or two, or until the neighbors rioted.

·
KZ Addicted (needs Help)
498 Posts
That looks like it just might be a Kerker that you have based on the shape and the way it mounts. One way to check for sure is to pull the megaphone off and check the rear mounting tab. Kerker stamped their name on the tabs of their pipes. It is easier to read on the chrome pipes on the black pipe you have you may want to try scuffing it with sandpaper to make it showup better. The baffle looks like it came from a Vance and Hines pipe and was cut down. Any competent welder should be able to patch up that hole and because of where it is located it does not even need to be pretty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks like it just might be a Kerker that you have based on the shape and the way it mounts.
Good call Andy! It is a Kerker. That helps considerably. I'll keep it for as long as I can since it is sort of "period correct". I found a replacement baffle for it for $45. A couple of welds and I'll be good to go.
GPzRocker. I live in the sticks so neighbors are not a problem. The subdivision down the road though...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts