Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got any suggestions to trouble shoot a rev counter problem?

I turned on my bike yesterday and heard 'phut' when I flicked the 'engine off' switch on. The rev counter twitched a little and then when I fired the bike up the rev counter was reading approx 2 -> 2+bit x the rpm that it should do. ie ideling at ~2krpm, & showing ~9krpm at 40mph in 4th gear (normally 40mph in 4th should read ~4krpm.

I've taken a look at the wireing diagram and see the tacho takes a signal from one of the ignition coils but could it be that there is somekinda electrical leakage in the coil or plug which could generate a 2x rpm signal?

Any ideas gratefully received...

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem Fixed!

I managed to sort out the trouble with my rev counter :D . I took it off the bike & with a friend connected it up to a signal generator. We put in a sine wave with frequency corresponding to 1 spark signal per revolution and found there was not problem with the indicator.

I changed the plugs and took the HT leads off to check the resistance of the ignition coils, put everything back together and the problem seems to have gone away! Problem not solved, jut fixed! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts