Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
dirt track racer
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 83 gpz550 engine in my custom sidecar racer (dirt)
when i accelerate it breaks down and miss fires a little but still climbs in rev's,
it gets alot better as it gets going, i am not to sure on what gap to set the plugs and or if i can check the timing.
the carbys did leak a little through the air filters once, maybe they are need of a service dose anyone know of any carby place's in penrith sydney NSW where i can get them looked at or if just a carby kit would sort my problems out,
any help would be most helpful as i wish to start practice 13/3/010

thank u..
Jarratt,

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'd set the plug gap at 28 thousands. The plug wires are also replaceable on that model, so I'd look into putting new ones on, and checking the plug caps for proper resistance. You do need resister caps on there, as without things can get a bit odd. You can also pull off the timing plate and inspect the crentufigal advance, as they're known to rust in full advance.
I'd also suggest a valve adjustment, and carb balance if you haven't done them recently, before you get into anything else.

Hit the guys up on the GPz550 forum too. I'm sure you can get lots more advice there. :wink:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Stock plug caps, and as I recall, NGK aftermarket caps will have a slot in the inside (where it presses onto the plug) that takes a standard flathead screwdriver. Unscrewing them will get you a little, white, brass ended thingie that's a resistor. Take it out, and in my experience, odd things happen with the LCD readout on the dash. I never experimented any further than that, and put the resistors back in. :mrgreen:

A dab of dielectric grease on the cap and coil ends helped the bike run a tad smoother as well. Corrosion BAD.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Resistor caps, plugs, or wires (used on cars mostly) prevent RFI (radio frequency interference) noise problems. Never use 2 of these in combo on the same ignition system. Like resistor caps and resistor plugs etc. RFI noise can cause problems with sensitive electronics. If you've ever tried listening to an AM radio with a thunderstorm in the area you heard the constant pop and crackle. That is RFI noise. If you don't have anything on the bike that would be bothered by the RFI then you can run w/o resistor parts. My bike only has electronic ignition and gauges (not digital) which are not affected so I run solid core wire w/o resistor caps or plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts