Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kerker 4-1 header on my bike has a leak in the collector (I bought the bike that way) and while I'm taking it to a welder next week, I'm preparing myself for the worst: it being unrepairable. I really like the Kerker system that's on there, so I'm looking for another 4-1 header if the existing one doesn't pan out.

I heard MAC's are junk, but they're the only system I can find, since Kerker discontinued their 4-1 systems for my bike (I heard the '84-'85 k-series doesnt fit, plus its $600 :mad:). Do Kerker megaphones usually turn up used?

Also, my exhaust has no baffle? The can isn't hollowed out, but it seems like there's just a straight shot from the collector. It also looks like there should be some sort of face plate on there? I don't know what a Kerker meg is supposed to look like from this angle. What do you guys think? What would you recommend for an insertable baffle, as this setup is quite loud. I'm just looking to tone it down a little, not a lot. Thanks! Sorry about the long post

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any other engines w/ the same header spacing as the 550? That one looks nice, not sure if I can spend the $175 on a "just in case" part :(

Also to anyone who has/knows what a stock Kerker megaphone system is supposed look like, am I missing a baffle on my exhaust (see above) and if so, is there one available (from Kerker/SuperTrapp or any other vendor) that I can insert?

Being a young'un, I'm not familiar with vintage exhausts ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I would try to get what you have repaired since, as you've already noticed, it's really hard to find a system for the bike. Corey on the GPz forum, regularly does Ebay searches and posts up 'finds' like pipes. I'm also pretty sure, although not positive, that the megaphone section was the same for all Kerkers and all they did was change the headers.

You do have a muffler in there. Most racing exhausts are like the Kerker. It has a perforated pipe with an end cap in the megaphone, that's wrapped with fiberglass. The larger the diameter of the opening in the perforated, pipe, the better the flow, and the louder it is. You look like you have a street baffle in there. The racing only baffles were enormous.

Edit:
Didn't notice the 'loud' comment. :mrgreen:
The baffle is held in by one screw on the bottom towards the inside of the megaphone. Remove that, and yank the baffle out. I'll bet you're missing most of your glass packing. Most shops still sell packing for around $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts