Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share photo of my Winter 2019 resto project. Taken today during a one of my favourite local rides through Hampshire UK. I have the Kawasaki badge for the left side crankcase cover but not fitted yet. Anyone suggests a suitable glue?
B89208D2-897F-4AF6-82A7-4D6DA1B8CA81.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
If you never want it to come off use epoxy. Where did you get the badge from? I cannot get one for my 84 ZN1100.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Nice bike by the way. I remember when these first came out. I wanted one so badly but figured I needed the 750 which was not available until 1982. I bought a CB900F instead. Beautiful bike but not nearly as much fun to ride as a Kawi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you never want it to come off use epoxy. Where did you get the badge from? I cannot get one for my 84 ZN1100.
Hi WFO-KZ badge sourced through many patient days searching ebay. Took almost a year to find the NOS part. 😢

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
You are indeed fortunate to find an OEM badge. This is what mine looks like (see below). And thanks for the offer Alex_GPZ, that's very kind of you. I never thought about 3D printing it. My plan is to keep the bike looking as original as possible so I have a guy who is going to try CNC machining one for me. Hope it works out. I also found a guy who can print high heat decals on what looks like a brushed aluminum background. That is currently plan "B".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi from Manchester. That's a nice looking bike you have there, I have one that has been resurrected too. If yours was as bad as mine it's surprising how much abuse they'll take.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Beautiful .Funny the things that imprint themselves on ones mind. I remember sitting at my parents kitchen table with my girlfriend at my side reading a test of this very motorcycle. I thought, this is without doubt the perfect street bike. You are very lucky indeed. Take good care of it and enjoy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi from Manchester. That's a nice looking bike you have there, I have one that has been resurrected too. If yours was as bad as mine it's surprising how much abuse they'll take.
Yes 😀 bike was ok on the surface but as I got into it, I realised it was goino to be a long (and expensive) winter. Luckily engine was sound and bomb proof. The biggest challenge was the carburation and the front forks/brakes, coils and ignition mechanical advance. All needed complete overhaul. Then the numerous missing or damaged parts to be sourced and replaced, not full resto but as original as I could get it. Parts - some I managed to source from on line breakers and others were NOS, ebay became my buddy! The exhausts - OMG ended up paying a small fortune for stock pipes, the ones that came with the bike where bright chrome and rotted. Ironic when I remember ditching my originals of my old Z550 in favour of an Alfa 4 into 1! Anyway, all in the past now and enjoying being reunited with an 80’s icon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes 😀 bike was ok on the surface but as I got into it, I realised it was goino to be a long (and expensive) winter. Luckily engine was sound and bomb proof. The biggest challenge was the carburation and the front forks/brakes, coils and ignition mechanical advance. All needed complete overhaul. Then the numerous missing or damaged parts to be sourced and replaced, not full resto but as original as I could get it. Parts - some I managed to source from on line breakers and others were NOS, ebay became my buddy! The exhausts - OMG ended up paying a small fortune for stock pipes, the ones that came with the bike where bright chrome and rotted. Ironic when I remember ditching my originals of my old Z550 in favour of an Alfa 4 into 1! Anyway, all in the past now and enjoying being reunited with an 80’s icon.
That all sounds very familiar 😂 I'm still having fun getting mine to run properly but it's worth the time and effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts