Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi iv got a C reg gpz 550 uni trak and now winter has setttled in the old girl really does struggle to work, the bikes kept in a garage over night and when i get it out to go too work, it fires up first time no problems, but its when i finish work i can spend about 10 minutes turning it over till she finally fires up, the bike is parked in works car park and every night for the last 2 weeks iv spent ages trying to get it started, once started its perfectly fine. I even had to bump it off tonight to get it going. im not all that machaniclly minded to tell you the truth, so im asking for your help in trying to figure out what might be the problem. the bike is turning over ok and its trying to start, it makes no differance how i have the choke, Its only going to get colder too so i need to get this sorted sharpish before it gets too the point when it dont want too start at all..

All plugs and leads are fine changed them not long ago, battery is only a few months old, like i said when its kept in the garage over night it starts perfectly, its when its kept in the open where the cold can really get to it..

fingers are crossed you kind people can guide me in the right direction.

thankyou nathan

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Ever see any fuel leakage out the overflows or on the ground under the bike? If the carburetor bowls are flooding from gas seepage the bike will get very cranky to start because it's flooded.

Make sure you shut the fuel tap off when you park it and see if it gets any easier to start.

You didn't say how cold it was getting: is it possible the gas is freezing up? Did you try those alcohol gas additives to prevent that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, my bike has not got a shut off point on the fuel tank, only a reserve and a prime setting, also there is no leakages of fuel on or around the bike.

well yest was around 3*c were i live and today at the moment its a chilly zero to be getting warmer later on in the day to about 5*c lol. ill have alook around for some of that stuff. thanks for the advice..

cheers nathan

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Does that mean you bump started it again because it was too cold?

:mrgreen:

The only other thing that came to mind is that if the coil is a shade wimpy, you might be getting a weak spark when cold. The internal impedance of your battery increases when cold (even a very good battery) so the system voltage drops more as you crank. If the coil or ignition system is marginal, it will get very hard to start then warm up and run fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that mean you bump started it again because it was too cold?

:mrgreen:

The only other thing that came to mind is that if the coil is a shade wimpy, you might be getting a weak spark when cold. The internal impedance of your battery increases when cold (even a very good battery) so the system voltage drops more as you crank. If the coil or ignition system is marginal, it will get very hard to start then warm up and run fine.
lol yeah i had too bump it off again, the coil is the original one so you might be right with saying it could be weak, ill buy a new one and give that a go. cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can check your connections too. Problems with a bad ground or dirty connections will be magnified with cold weather.
I take it you are using the choke when cold?

·
GPz550 Nut
77 Posts
A little late here on the replying, but what are your starting procedures? Is the bike completely stock? Does the bike sit on the side stand or center stand at work and/or in the garage? You're right about the fuel petcock. There's RES, ON and PRI, but no OFF. The choke setting is 2 clicks out=full choke and higher idle, 1 click out=full choke, and in is choke off. Try starting it on the choke only setting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts