Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for back brake piston for ZX550A2 they are NLA and can't get one for love nor money.
I need to get my bike on the road!
Going on eBay only risks getting a master cylinder with a seized piston in it.
Will gladly pay decent money if anyone has one with seals intact.
Part No is 43020-1035 or 1036 etc they are all the same up to 1992. It was used in 45 different models including the CHIPs American Cop Z1000s.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have been down that road my friend and I have no good news. My ZN1100 uses the exact same piston and I scoured every source I could think of and tried a bunch of stuff. You can read about it here as it might provide some useful info

I really need to go back and update that thread. My repair was not 100% successful as the piston seal weeps fluid. I ended up using a 14 mm seal from racing go-karts. The seals are not exactly the same size as my service manual says but looked close enough. I am thinking I may have damage the seal during install. You have to stretch the heck out of the seal to get it to fit over the piston.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you put that part number into Partzilla's website it throws up a list of other bike model fitments for that part. There's a long list of alternatives and you might have more success searching somewhere like Ebay using one of those bikes in the search facility.

Gary.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes, Partzilla has a very long list and I chased down every one of them. All are unavailable. :(

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks Gyesdad at first glance this should fit but I tried what looks like an identical one from Brakecrafters and it does not fit. Here is a picture of the Brakecrafters piston. It looks identical to the ebay one that you show.
I also checked on Partzilla and Kawasaki changed the piston design after 1985 so I don't see how this Ebay seller can claim it fits all years from 1984-1988. From my research the ebay piston will fit models after 1985 and thus it is not a replacement for 43020-1035 which is what Burnden and I are both looking for. They ebay one would replace 43020-1067. But thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems odd that the part is NLA for all those alternative model fitments....
Stupid question time so I'll apologise in advance. Are you sure the one you have fitted already is the correct part relating to that part number number and actually isn't a replacement fitted by a previous owner?

Gents, have you asked on the Z1 Owners Club forum? If it was fitted to the Z1000P they may well have members who have come up against this issue and have discovered an answer.

Just trying to help :)

Gary.

·
Registered
755 Posts
First my apologies to the OP Burnden for sort of taking over his thread, but it seems he has disappeared and if he reappears, well a lot of research has been done in his absence that will be to his benefit. We are both searching for the same part -1035 although he thinks -1036 is the same and I would love to know where he got that info.

To answer your question Gysedad, there is no way I can be 100% sure that my master cylinder is the one the bike originally came with, but I am about 99% sure. I know the part number I need and there are many sites that will show a photograph of that part and it looks just like mine, but they are NLA.

And no, I have not tried other forums like Z1 owners as mine is not a Z1 its a ZN which is quite a different beast.

I will say this, the -1036 part may in fact be interchangeable with the -1035 part that I need. However, I have only found one place in England that claims to have one in stock and by the time I get it here it would be around $100. I can get an entire master cylinder assembly for around $200 so it makes no sense to pay $100 just for the piston.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi WFO-KZ,
Burnden stated 'Part No is 43020-1035 or 1036 etc' i found the 1036. I think it's still availble here in Indonesia because there are a couple of suppliers offering the '1036' The price is Rp450.000 = USD32 approx.
There doesn't seem to be any suppliers offering the '1035'
The piston assembly must be the exactly the same size as the original.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First my apologies to the OP Burnden for sort of taking over his thread, but it seems he has disappeared and if he reappears, well a lot of research has been done in his absence that will be to his benefit. We are both searching for the same part -1035 although he thinks -1036 is the same and I would love to know where he got that info.

To answer your question Gysedad, there is no way I can be 100% sure that my master cylinder is the one the bike originally came with, but I am about 99% sure. I know the part number I need and there are many sites that will show a photograph of that part and it looks just like mine, but they are NLA.

And no, I have not tried other forums like Z1 owners as mine is not a Z1 its a ZN which is quite a different beast.

I will say this, the -1036 part may in fact be interchangeable with the -1035 part that I need. However, I have only found one place in England that claims to have one in stock and by the time I get it here it would be around $100. I can get an entire master cylinder assembly for around $200 so it makes no sense to pay $100 just for the piston.
Agreed, it’s pointless paying that price for the part. I suggested the Z1OC forum as there are members who own Z1000Ps and as the part is interchangeable with that bike they may have a solution to the problem for you both.
hopefully you’ll get sorted. 😊
Gary.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi WFO-KZ,
Burnden stated 'Part No is 43020-1035 or 1036 etc' i found the 1036. I think it's still availble here in Indonesia because there are a couple of suppliers offering the '1036' The price is Rp450.000 = USD32 approx.
Thanks Colvfrfg, I have yet to see any absolute proof that -1035 and -1036 are exactly the same. Because they have different part numbers means something about them must be different. It may well work and fit but it's a big expense if it does not work. $32 USD becomes almost $50 CDN and then shipping, brokerage and import fees can double that.

I recently found a supplier who listed -1035 as "in stock" and their price was good. So I ordered it only to have them contact me and say it was a database error and they had no stock and could not get any. :(

·
Registered
755 Posts
Agreed, it’s pointless paying that price for the part. I suggested the Z1OC forum as there are members who own Z1000Ps and as the part is interchangeable with that bike they may have a solution to the problem for you both.
hopefully you’ll get sorted. 😊
Gary.
It's a good suggestion and I will take your advice, but I am also looking at the inexpensive master cylinders from China.
Some are priced as low as $20. Has anyone tried these? I would have to adapt it to fit, and I don't need a long life out of them as it is a vintage bike that would only be used a few times a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be interested to see how you get on :) Please let us all know the result.

Gary.
It's a good suggestion and I will take your advice, but I am also looking at the inexpensive master cylinders from China.
Some are priced as low as $20. Has anyone tried these? I would have to adapt it to fit, and I don't need a long life out of them as it is a vintage bike that would only be used a few times a year.

·
itching to ride
2,226 Posts
I tried a cheap Chinese master cylinder for my front brake on my 454. I may have gotten a bad one but I never could get it to pump up enough pressure to bleed. I finally wound up picking up a good used one off a Honda CM450 from Ebay. It was a decent match for my handlebars and worked well.

That is not necessarily an indication that the cheap Chinese versions will be crap but as for me I would rather get a used one from a different bike and make it fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi WFO-KZ,
Hello,
I haven't disappeared - just been busy!
The difference between the 1035 and 1036 is just the year I believe. Going on Kawasaki UK parts list, 1035 is for 1985 model and 1036 is for 1986 model and so on until 1992 when they were not made anymore. I don't believe there is any difference in spec / diameter / length etc. I am willing to take that chance.
So if you can forward details where I can purchase this from and get a price including shipping, I might place an order.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
By kawpaul: I tried a cheap Chinese master cylinder for my front brake on my 454. I may have gotten a bad one but I never could get it to pump up enough pressure to bleed. I finally wound up picking up a good used one off a Honda CM450 from Ebay. It was a decent match for my handlebars and worked well. ... That is not necessarily an indication that the cheap Chinese versions will be crap but as for me I would rather get a used one from a different bike and make it fit.

Someone over at KZR bought a brand new cheap made in china mc & reported that the handlebar mount broke.
Luckily, he wasn't riding at the time >> that would be a real drag at speed, maybe even deadly. I've heard of chinese shocks breaking as well.
Honda MC. I installed a Fr brake master cylinder from a Honda CBR500 >> good used condition & made in Japan, plus repair parts are readily available.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey Burnden, If you do go ahead with the -1036 order can you please measure it before you install it and post the results here? In order for it to work the 32 mm dimension is absolutely critical. It can be less but it cannot exceed 32.
FYI, the part in the picture below is not the actual part, but a similar one to give you an idea of where to measure for the 32 mm dimension. Also to save $$ you may want to give the supplier a call and see if they will verify the size for you before you place the order.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts