Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a direct replacement for a rear master cylinder on my 1986 bike? I'm looking for a modern replacement as the old ones are as rare as hen's teeth.

·
Administrator
3,797 Posts
Welcome to the club. I have wasted dozens of hours search for a new rear master cylinder or rebuild kit for my 1984 ZN1100. They just don't exist.

I did have one very knowledgeable sales person who went above and beyond in trying to get me one. In the end I was told that in the 1980's Kawi was experimenting with a whole whack of different master cylinder designs, many of which where only produced for a year or two, so parts inventory was scarce and when they are gone, they are gone.

You might find one on Ebay and if you ever find a different one that fits, please post here.

·
Administrator
3,797 Posts
I looked at ones similar to this but first I should note that my ZN1100 and the GPz550 use different rear master cylinders.

What I found, and what appears to be the case here, is that the Ebay link is for a "universal fit" Chinese master cylinder.

I cannot say if it will fit, but my concern is that they don't provide the critical bore diameter and given that their spec says (and I quote) "Fit 110cc 125cc 140cc 150cc PIT PRO PIT Bike Trail Bike Dirt Bike" I would suspect the bore is way too small to stop a 550 cc street bike. It appears that some Chinese vendors are willing to do whatever it takes to sell their product. Sure, with a hacksaw and a welder you could make it fit, but it won't stop the bike. Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's a big problem, sorting through the junk. I'm able to machine the heck out of anything to make it work, but you have to start with something you knows works. Rear calipers are so similar in design, I wouldn't think it would be hard to modify something to work. I don't have that bike, so there's nothing I can offer. Most bikes don't need much to stop the rear wheel, but something rated for such a small series of bikes probably wouldn't do the job. That's probably why it wasn't listed right off. Sorry. :)

·
Administrator
3,797 Posts
No need for apologies, I am sure the OP is grateful for your search and it might well have been the golden solution.

In my case, I had to modify a new piston to make it fit my rear master cylinder. Diameter was correct, but it was too long.

I probably should have just machined a whole new piston from scratch, but this was faster and got the bike back on the road quicker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts