Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1984 GPZ900R from a buddy of mine and I have been having trouble getting it to even turn over.
The previous owner says the bike ran great, took it apart to paint it, but once painted never it it back together. My idiot buddie tried to put it back together but faced the same issue I'm having I turn the key on hit the start button all I hear is the relay clicking. Ok so I bypassed the seleniod with a push button start switch, for temporary use. Same thing, just a relay click. Thinking it may be a dead battery I hooked up my charge box flipped the switch to boost mode, hit the start switch and the engine turns over very slowly untill the timed boost mode stops then it goes back to the relay click. I'm getting really mad at this bike and I want to ride it so bad.
What should I do from here ?

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
Assuming that the new battery has a full charge, we will need to dig deeper.

Put the bike on its centre stand and try to turn the engine over by turning the back wheel with the bike in gear. You may have to use a high gear. If you cannot turn it then the engine may be seized.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You also may have a beat starter motor. I might consider taking that out and seeing how it runs off your battery charger, or battery. A bad starter will drain your battery real fast..

If you try and turn the engine over by the rear wheel, (on the center stand) I would take out the spark plugs so you can hear the engine (any clunks, etc.) and it makes it easier to turn. :)

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
Also if you don't have a center stand (many 4 into 1 exhaust systems require center stand removal) then remove the pulse coil cover from the LH side of the engine. You will lose a bit of oil so have a drain pan underneath. Once the cover is off you will see a large nut and a direction arrow for which direction to turn the nut in order to rotate the engine.

The engine will (or should) turn over very easily if the plugs are removed as suggested by Kawaskian.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also if you don't have a center stand (many 4 into 1 exhaust systems require center stand removal) then remove the pulse coil cover from the LH side of the engine. You will lose a bit of oil so have a drain pan underneath. Once the cover is off you will see a large nut and a direction arrow for which direction to turn the nut in order to rotate the engine.

The engine will (or should) turn over very easily if the plugs are removed as suggested by Kawaskian.
It was the starter, I bought another starter off eBay and put it on the bike and it started turning over quickly. Thank you for your help. :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
It’s as simple as a ball bearing on a gear shaft. The engine can be running but unless the gear shafts are spinning, ie. the bike is moving, only neutral can be selected from first gear.
Once georshafts are spinning, the bearing is flung outwards allowing the gear selector to engage second gear and above.

It prevents the problem of finding neutral when the bike is at a standstill. It’s a simple yet ingenious solution to an age old problem. Why it isn’t on modern bikes is a mystery to me.

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
I've never hadd a problem with finding neutral, but have run into so many who have, you do think something better could be developed. ;)
Depends on the bike. I have seen some that are difficult and others are easy but for new riders its a skill that needs to be learned.

Yes, Honda and others solved it with their dual clutch automatic transmissions. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts