Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of good info but it was presented in a weak way. The instructors could have also explained things better both in the classroom & on the range, but they were both new instructors.

Did I say it had lots of excellent info & was well worth the time & $15.00 to take the course 8)

Main reason I took the class was the state drivers course is set up for small bikes (under 500cc's) and if you have a big bike like my 1600 Classic you will never pass the course. That's one thing that really pizzed me off as the state course is set up to fail riders of "big" bikes :twisted:

For the MSF course the biggest bike they had were 250's

However, the state does honor the MSF course card & if you show them that card they cut you a licence right then and there so no more permit for me 8)

·
Registered
487 Posts
as far as I know the courses are the same in every state and I watched a guy pass it on a Goldwing. I passed it myself on a meanstreak. :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Excuse me $15!!!!!!!!! :shock:

And you're complaining!!!!! :roll:

I paid $180 for my course!!!!!!!! :shock:

I have to say it was excellent, a little slow in the classroom, but great tips and awesome practice!! The biggest bikes they had were indeed 250, but they did have one Ninja 250, which I used :D, because the rest of the class were cruiser types.

Anyway great to hear that you took the class! Stay safe!

:D

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not complaining, just stating a few week areas I observed. I've been involved with training for over 15 years & it comes naturally to critique training programs :p

I was talking about the state motorcycle course, it is set up for small bikes and they tell everybody you will fail if you ride a bike bigger than 500cc's.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My state has different cone placement for different size of bikes. But you're right, for a beginner it is a lot harder on a larger bike.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Green Knight said:
My state has different cone placement for different size of bikes. But you're right, for a beginner it is a lot harder on a larger bike.
Not here, one size fit's all :( :( :(

It's a crock of chit when the DMV tells you you will fail cuz you have a big bike & the do not make any allowance for size.

I've been told it's how the state makes the MSF course "mandatory" :x :x

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I have taken the class 3 times...once on my Honda 250 Elsinore and twice on my BMW R80RT...I couldn't even seen the cones because of my faring, but they did move them farther apart for me. I gestimated where they were.....

The more experienced that instructors get the better they become. I was trained to be an instructor in the Navy..can teach anything to anyone!!!! It would be fun to be an MSF instructor!!! that would be awesome. When I am teaching something I love it becomes more interesting both ways.

Congrats on passing the MSF!!!!!

Ride Safe Ride Sane

Heather

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I HAD to rely on my local MSF class, the local department of licensing parking lot is sorely undersized. They have little "x's" painted on the lot where the cones would go. I started out going their on Sundays when the lot would be empty to practice. With the too small parkinglot, I couldn't get my bike to make the turn without running out of room. I mean, their lot is narrower than the road in front of my house, and that is narrow!

Taking the MSF did lots of things but mostly because my 1500 can't make that tight of a turn, It allowed me to get my endorsement without the need to argue pointlessly with the DOL.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cungratoolayshuns on Gardumacating your MSF class. :lol:

$15 is a bargin. It was about $250 or so here. I don't recall exactly. Probably higher now.

I had very experienced instructors which was a bigger help for the riding than the classroom. I guess they have a strict lesson plan that they must follow and are not allowed to deviate very much.

We did have one instructor show us a stoppie on his GSX-R. Don't think that was part of the lesson plan though. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
RampRat Sr said:
Not complaining, just stating a few week areas I observed. I've been involved with training for over 15 years & it comes naturally to critique training programs :p

I was talking about the state motorcycle course, it is set up for small bikes and they tell everybody you will fail if you ride a bike bigger than 500cc's.
If you're having trouble with the DMV riding test on a big bike, I would suggest Jerry Palladino's Ride Like A Pro III DVD and a little practice so you can learn to better control your bigger bike.

When I saw my MSF instructors go through the test course on a Gold Wing and an Electra Glide Ultra, well, the course is tougher for a beginner on a big bike.... 8)

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tlwisner said:
RampRat Sr said:

If you're having trouble with the DMV riding test on a big bike, I would suggest Jerry Palladino's Ride Like A Pro III DVD and a little practice so you can learn to better control your bigger bike.

When I saw my MSF instructors go through the test course on a Gold Wing and an Electra Glide Ultra, well, the course is tougher for a beginner on a big bike.... 8)
I guess you did not understand.

It's not the MSF course, it's the STATE DMV course that is the problem.

Even the MSF instructors said it's impossible to pass the STATE course in a big bike.

The STATE course is set up for little bikes and the STATE evualators will tell you you will fail on a big bike.

Do you understand now :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
haha yea the state one kills the bigger bikes. A guy on a goldwing pulled up when i took mine and after watching us do it a few times he turned around and left. That sucks that the course is so much money i was planning on taking it in the spring, and still will most likely but im afriad to ask how much the advanced course runs... :shock:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its different everywhere-but the main thing is you took it and passed it :D
and that's the best way to start imo :wink:

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I don't rember paying anything for my course the first time. It was navy sponcerd. the second time was free also.

WE reset the cones father apart after i ran over all of them on the full dressed 750 suzki i browed for my lienson test. The lady trouper passed me just for being able to stop it and get off with out droping it. It had foot boards and the only way i could tuch the ground was to get off. I had to jump off and put the stand down fast. I had to guss at were the cones were becouse i coulden't see them over the front . i am only 5ft 4 and the bike was way to big for me. And i had only riden it for 10 min befor i took the test and that was just riding to the test lot.

Heather was asked to be an instructor at her last comand but politics higher up lost her the job. I think the bases XO's friend got it. Mack

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Base safety here pays for active duty and dependents to take the course as it's a mandated course to ride on base.

It's snowing again :( :( :(

Wonder if they make chains for motorcycles :roll: :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts