Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys here's a weird one for you!!! :?

I was on my way to pick up my 14 year old daughter on my bike today, I was doing around 65 MPH and started slowing down for the next intersection, I pull the clutch in (since I don't like braking with the engine) and start applying both front and rear brakes. When all of a sudden I hear a loud noise like "CLOCK", at the same time I feel a very minor shutter. I get to the stop sign, still on the bike I look around for signs of any damage and I don't see anything. No oil leaks, engine temperature is fine, oil pressure light is not on. So I continue to my daughters highschool. There I get off and inspect the bike again, I can't find anything wrong. So I go on my merry way!

After I got home from work and upon closer inspection (on my back under the bike), I find a lot and I mean a lot of red grease smeared underneath my bike from behind the front wheel to the rear wheel on the lower fairings!! The front wheel looks fine no grease there, but the front fender has some grease under it. There is also grease on the radiator, the exhaust pipes (where they exit the engine, under the radiator) the rear tire and the rear fender, but no where else!

I inspected the entire bike and I can't seem to find where this red grease came from!!! Can it be that I ran over a cartridge of red grease???? I'll go back tomorrow to where this happened, maybe I can find the culprit!!

Anyone have any ideas what I should check on the bike? Is there any place on the bike where red grease would be used? :?

Thanks for your help and forgive me for the long post!!

:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Glad to hear you didin't go down. That stuff will kill your traction. Hope it was a tube, and not a bike failure. Let us kknow what you find out...

·
Registered
128 Posts
the only thing i might suggest is check your front wheel bearings, but i doubt they have enough grease in them to cover the bike the way you have described it...

most likely you just ran over something.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I think you ran over something. I've never seen anything on a motorcycle that needed red grease, much less that much red grease.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I found all that grease under the bike I was surprised I didn't feel any loss of traction or braking power! If I did run over something it kicked up right behind the front tire and hit the leading edge of the fairing, that's where I found most of the grease!

I thought of the front bearings also, but the entire front wheel is clean, except for some specks of grease on the outside of the tire. I also inspected the triple tree and it's dry.

Thanks for your input guys! I should know more later today when I go out there and try to find the grease cartridge or whatever I hit!

In the mean time my green machine is parked, :cry: until I find the culprit. I don't want to risk it.

Thanks for your input! :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I went out during my lunch break to find out what I hit the day before and I couldn't find anything! NOTHING!! Not even some grease on the road!! :shock: I was very disappointed! :roll:

Anyway I got home and I completely washed my bike, that grease was nasty, but everything seems to be OK! Tomorrow, I'll take her back to work! I'm pretty sure I must've hit something on the road!

Thanks everyone for your input! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts