Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, 15 others and I rode together in the Oyster Run, the largest motorcycle run in Western Washington. The weather was foggy, cool but that didn't dampen our spirits. We headed out on back country roads up to Granite Falls for gas, it was great to hear the thunder as we rolled into that little town. Then we headed north towards our final destination, Anacortes Washington.

All was going well until we entered the sleepy little community around Lake McMurry. The roads around the lake area make several turns and unless your ride there a lot, make unpredictable sharp turns. As we made a sharp hairpin turn we were greeted by a fireman flagging us to slow down, a sport biker had lost it in the curve and was laying out in the road, they had a neck brace on her and loading her in an ambulance. I never saw where her bike went but it wasn't on the road.

Following along, one of our riders in the back of the pack, lost control and his rear end slid out in one of the tighter corners and dumped his Springer HD. It went over an embankment and down into a gully. He was able to slide off the bike before it went down and managed to miss a telephone pole. Only bumped up his knee a bit. We all worked to get his bike out of the gully, luckily only thing that broke is his headlight and some minor scratching....

He and another turned around to go home and sent the rest of us on our way. That put a damper on the ride but we continued on. Its funny how that area claimed two bikes within a 1/4 mile area. I don't know the circumstances why the sport bike went down, but our guy said his rear end let loose in the curve and it slid out. I don't recall the road in the turn being wet but it is possible. By the time we got up that far north, the fog was lifting and the roads were drying.

The closer we got to Anacortes, the more bikes we encountered. Our group of now 14 bikes became attached to other groups of bikes and before long, we were in a line of more bikes that I could see the front or end of. It was a great day, the sun came out and the ride was good. I didn't spend much time in Anacortes but still there were thousands of bikes parked there. A good day for sure!

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
it sound like a great trip not so great day though. Im glad you are ok I hope the road didnt claim anyone else on the way back.

Yes foggy is some of the worst road conditions specially if the road hasnt been washed in a while. There is not enough water to warn you and the little water there is sits right on top of the oil and neither of them moove untill you go over them = not good.

I when riding myself on sunday (I was riding from place to place cause I was working) but i saw bikes! I dont usually see them 2 sportbikes the rest where all cruisers I felt like taking a little detour and exchange e-mails but like i said i was on the job.

I dont know anyone else with a bike, so im always looking for other people in my area. San Francisco is like 1 hour away and i cant do 65 for that long! 15 min doing 65 is really pushing it! lol if I could do 100 or 120 up to SF then it would be ok lol.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I'm happy to hear you got out on a nice ride, Dave. Too bad about the accidents, though. Your friend was lucky he didn't get hurt a lot worse. And it's amazing his bike wasn't completely ruined!

We passed a bad accident when we were on a ride one time. It really does shake you up!

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Interesting how threads get resurrected around here....

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Oh please! Say that it is so! Please.....I'm so tired of rain....

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jukief said:
I'm happy to hear you got out on a nice ride, Dave. Too bad about the accidents, though. Your friend was lucky he didn't get hurt a lot worse. And it's amazing his bike wasn't completely ruined!

We passed a bad accident when we were on a ride one time. It really does shake you up!
Julie, I made this post in September of 2004, our friend, Thmastr, is just reviving old threads as he looks thru the archives.

UPDATE - The guy who went down in this wreck is doing fine, funny tho, just a few weeks later he headed out to Thailand for his new life in retirement and then just a few months later, we all feared him dead in the tsunami's...fortunately, he survived those as well.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
spok said:
Julie, I made this post in September of 2004, our friend, Thmastr, is just reviving old threads as he looks thru the archives.

UPDATE - The guy who went down in this wreck is doing fine, funny tho, just a few weeks later he headed out to Thailand for his new life in retirement and then just a few months later, we all feared him dead in the tsunami's...fortunately, he survived those as well.
wow, and i didn't even look at the post date. glad to hear he is ok though.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Julie's not allowed to pick the wine, she doesn't look at the dates. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts