Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone on my name is David a life long friend gave me the nickname BigNasty so I use it online often. Anyway glad things like this exist. . I'm about to lose my mind at 55 there is not much left to lose l.o.l.. For the past 8 or 9 months now I've taken a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800a and built a Chopper. I've eliminated the junction box and replaced it with a M-Unit it's solid state now. I have the manual for the bike and it says that the Igniter is IC. It says it's a trasistorized ignition system that works like a breaker points system. Not all black boxes are CDI from what I have learned my question is is this a CDI, TCI, ECU I would be so greatful if anyone can answer this, thanks so much. I'll dance at your wedding !!!

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Hello David and welcome to the forum.

My understanding is the same as yours. Kawasaki stopped using CDI a long, long time ago and switched to Igniters.
CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition. You can add that to your storage of useless information.

The igniter is transistorized as you pointed out. A Darlington power transistor controls the primary ignition circuit, but other than that, it appears to be a closely guarded secret as to how this black box functions. The service manual provides a few rudimentary tests that can help diagnose the igniter, but that's all she wrote.

If you are thinking of going with a third party ignition system be warned that all the ones I have seen do not provide electronic spark advance. I am not sure if your bike has a mechanical spark advance mechanism but that's something to look into. And who knows, I could be wrong and maybe someone now sells one with electronic advance. If so, I would love to hear about it. I have had the pleasure of being wrong before... many times in fact. LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello David and welcome to the forum.

My understanding is the same as yours. Kawasaki stopped using CDI a long, long time ago and switched to Igniters.
CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition. You can add that to your storage of useless information.

The igniter is transistorized as you pointed out. A Darlington power transistor controls the primary ignition circuit, but other than that, it appears to be a closely guarded secret as to how this black box functions. The service manual provides a few rudimentary tests that can help diagnose the igniter, but that's all she wrote.

If you are thinking of going with a third party ignition system be warned that all the ones I have seen do not provide electronic spark advance. I am not sure if your bike has a mechanical spark advance mechanism but that's something to look into. And who knows, I could be wrong and maybe someone now sells one with electronic advance. If so, I would love to hear about it. I have had the pleasure of being wrong before... many times in fact. LOL.
Thanks for the answer I appreciate your help. I also appreciate the warning I don't plan on changing ignition's. I've done away with fuses and relays by

1 - 5 of 5 Posts