Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Greetings! I'm New!

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  PSNinja 
#1 ·
Hi yall! my name is Ian and I've been interested in riding for a few years now, but have never had to money to get started until just recently.

After doing a good bit of research I've decided that the Ninja 250R is perfect for me. Any other good bikes out there?

A few things about Me
  • I'm 21 years old
  • 5'11 and 140lbs
  • I am enrolled in college 10 miles from my home
  • My daily driver is a 4-banger Jeep Wrangler TJ
  • I have driven many 4-wheelers, but never a motorcycle
  • I have spent ALLOT of time riding mountain bikes, so I have developed good balance on a bike (idk if that is relevant to a motorcycle)

I would appreciate any and all tips and information involving my search for a bike.

If anyone is in my area (North Alabama) and knows about any bikes for sale, or good places to get one, PLEASE let me know!

I am looking for one in decent cosmetic condition, but runs excellent of course :)

I would also like to get an idea of an appropriate street price for the 250R.

Hope to be hearing from yall! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, take an MSF class! For some people this is the cheapest way to find out they do not want to ride, but mostly it vastly improves your odds of survival.

Religious question on bike choice :) For me, I LOVE my 500. I do not see me ever "outgrowing" the thing. User friendly, low maint, great mileage. I use mine year round as my daily ride to work.

But regardless... TAKE THE MSF CLASS! Do not know if they run year round down your way. Here (in VA) they are shut down for the winter.

Brian

#3 ·
"One more thing..." - Columbo (you are too young to get the ref :)

Read books... David Hough wrote excellent ones.

Craig's list is a good place to start rooting. And this is a good time to look. Many are "reducing the herd" during the off season.

Brian (again :) )

#4 ·
"One more thing..." - Columbo (you are too young to get the ref :)

Read books... David Hough wrote excellent ones.

Craig's list is a good place to start rooting. And this is a good time to look. Many are "reducing the herd" during the off season.

Brian (again :) )
Thanks for the advice! i'mma hafta check out some classes

Yeah I'd hafta say that reference is a bit outdated for me :p !

Anyways, a 500, that's the step above a 250, right?

As for Craigslist, There are few bikes for sale where I live that aren't Harleys. And it seems the 250's that are for sale are newer models and folks are wanting near new msrp value for them. I'm simply looking for somthin i could swing for 1500 or less (what several price websites are giving me; kbb..). I don't care how new it is though. I just want something I can afford to make small mistakes on (Although I'm confident I won't drop the bike)

#5 ·
Might want go to a dealer that has a 250 just for a "test sit". See what it feels like. Originally I was looking for a 250. Two dealers said I'd be happier with a 500. Neither had a 250. Both had 500's :) But they said the riding position on the 250 was "sport bike" (head down, hunched over, much weight on wrists = uncomfortable for long rides). I've never been on a 250, so I am clueless. But 500 is "cross over" and very comfy for long trips (even for people old enough to play Columbo, much less have watched it :) )

Used is better. "Although I'm confident I won't drop the bike" - we will pretend you NEVER said that. The universe *IS* out to get us :)

HD has about 50% of the motorcycle market share so seeing mostly HDs for sale is not shocking. Keep your eyes peeled. Something will show up. Remember... the market is in your favor.

Brian

#6 ·
;) i apologize if I came off cocky, If dropping the bike wasn't an issue I prolly wouldn't have brought it up (of course its on my mind!).

I think there are a few dealerships in my town or surrounding cities, My mother's ex husband works at a Harley Shop, and I just found out he teaches classes, I called up my mother after you told me to look around for some.

And as for long rides, the longest I plan to ride is 20 minutes to school, and its prolly a 5min. drive to work.

Just curious, but what is your height/weight?

#7 ·
And as for long rides, the longest I plan to ride is 20 minutes to school, and its prolly a 5min. drive to work.
Mmm hmmm....that's what you say now. :lol: Welcome to the forum, good luck on your search, and DEFINITELY take the class (three people that took it with me decided they absolutely didn't want to ride afterwards)

Also, I JUST saw someone from Madison AL on here that might be able to point you in the right direction

#8 ·
Mmm hmmm....that's what you say now. :lol: Welcome to the forum, good luck on your search, and DEFINITELY take the class (three people that took it with me decided they absolutely didn't want to ride afterwards)

Also, I JUST saw someone from Madison AL on here that might be able to point you in the right direction
thanks :D and if you happen to see them again let'em know I'm on here!

#9 ·
Welcome to the nuthouse...umm.. I mean forum. :biggrin:
The 250R is a great beginners bike, and also great for commuting - that's what it sounds like you plan to use it for.
My only concern is that you may find it too small and cramped for your size.
Many years ago I had an '88 EX-250, and also had an '08 250R last year until I got rear-ended.
I am 5'7" and found it comfortable for my leg length. (30" inseam)
Like others mentioned above, it might be a good idea to find one and actually sit on one to see if it fits you.
If you are determined to get a 'sport bike' you may want to take a look at the 500 Ninja or the 650 Ninja. Either of those may fit you better.
I know there are a few other owners on the forum who own the 250R and are tall like you, hopefully they will see this thread and chime in with their opinions.

#10 ·
Welcome to the nuthouse...umm.. I mean forum. :biggrin:
The 250R is a great beginners bike, and also great for commuting - that's what it sounds like you plan to use it for.
My only concern is that you may find it too small and cramped for your size.
Many years ago I had an '88 EX-250, and also had an '08 250R last year until I got rear-ended.
I am 5'7" and found it comfortable for my leg length. (30" inseam)
Like others mentioned above, it might be a good idea to find one and actually sit on one to see if it fits you.
If you are determined to get a 'sport bike' you may want to take a look at the 500 Ninja or the 650 Ninja. Either of those may fit you better.
I know there are a few other owners on the forum who own the 250R and are tall like you, hopefully they will see this thread and chime in with their opinions.
I definitely plan to commute, and not too far, mostly around town and occasionally a 20 mile run out to my parents house, which would really be the only time id be hitting the highways.

I'm gunna hafta measure my legs i guess then haha, and wow, this is the one of few times ive been referred to as 'tall'.. standing at 5'11.

#11 ·
I definitely plan to commute, and not too far, mostly around town and occasionally a 20 mile run out to my parents house, which would really be the only time id be hitting the highways.

I'm gunna hafta measure my legs i guess then haha, and wow, this is the one of few times ive been referred to as 'tall'.. standing at 5'11.
It is something you notice on certain bikes. For instance, my current bike - 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 is tall. The seat height is about 32 inches, therefore I am on my the balls of my feet when I have to come to a stop. Also, another forum member here - Bretsk2500 has sat on my bike and found it too small, and he rides a ZX6. His fiance Kawichic had a 250 that she loved and fit her just right before she had to sell it.

#12 ·
Mmm hmmm....that's what you say now. :lol:
Yeah, what Nancy said :)

I am 5'10" and was 205 when I started riding. I'm still 5'10" (not started shrinking yet... I watched Columbo on TV growing up, not the Lone Ranger on radio :) ) but down to 165 to get better gas mileage :) And the Dr was complaining. 53 to 58 mpg. Bike fits me perfect IMO.

Brian

#18 ·
#19 ·
Welcome to the Asylum, Ian!

Yes, MSF is a MUST!!!

I started with a 250. I'm 5'6 and 140. I now have a 650. LOVE IT!! My 6'1 hubby rides it from time to time and feels pretty comfortable on it. He felt very cramped on my 250.

Just remember, engine size is only part of the equation. Just because it's a smaller cc, doesn't mean it will be easier to handle. Keep asking questions!! This is a good place for that. Lots of great people here.

Welcome to the street-bike world. And Northern AL has some great riding roads. I know you'll enjoy them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.