Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grinding sound when going down road if I turn the steering to the right. I just replaced front and center u-joints and two yokes on front shaft. Front wheel bearings and both front axles have been replaced. When I turn to right while driving I hear the rumbling, grinding sound. Turn to left it quits. I have jacked it up and turned wheels, shook them up and down and side ways, no slack anywhere. Ideas please.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Welcome to the forums HotRod.

You have provided a good summary of what's been done so far.

However, when asking for help please include the year and model of your machine and a brief history of the machine, ie how many miles on it, how long you have owned it, what kind of use it has seen, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums HotRod.

You have provided a good summary of what's been done so far.

However, when asking for help please include the year and model of your machine and a brief history of the machine, ie how many miles on it, how long you have owned it, what kind of use it has seen, etc.
Sorry, it’s a 2005 year - 620E - 3010 - Gas, with 896 hours on it. I have had it for 4 years myself. It wasn’t running when I bought it. It had fuel pump issues and carburetor issues. I corrected these my self with a rebuild kit for carb replaced fuel pump and cleaned and sealed gas tank. I think maybe I have found the problem but have not taken it down yet. The front shaft where the first u- joint is has noticeable play up and down when I push up and down on it. I can’t tell if it is the bearing or front yoke shaft wore out on the end. I need to pull the skid plate where I can see it better. How hard is it to change the yoke bearing or for that matter the yoke it self? I don’t know why turning to the right I hear this sound and not when turning to left. I think I will remove shafts from front to rear then drive and see if I hear the sound. Also I notice the swing bearing has up and down play in it. This mule is used on my farm but not a lot of hard work is done with it. I run from pasture to pasture and once a month I pull a 500 pound hay rack that is on skids down a dirt road about 150 yards. That’s about the only time the 4 wheel drive gets used. The people that had it before me let his kids drive it and they drove it in the woods a lot and roughed it up some. When I got it he had just spent $800 on tires and hoses and a tune up. He said it run about 20 minutes and quit.I bought it as is condition and spent about $300 on it That’s when I found the fuel pump starter switch bad plus carburetor and tank problems. I haven’t had anymore major things happen until now. When I figure out the front yoke issue with the loose up and down motion, I’m thinking I have to change out the bearing and front yoke as well as the swing bearing. Thanks got your reply back to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep us posted on the progress. Maybe post up some pix when you get it apart.
Hopefully tomorrow I can pull the propeller shaft out. Will it hurt to test run for the noise sound then? I mean remove shaft front front to rear and drive off. Then I can check shaft splines and yokes. I had one spline on front u-joint that was slipping so I welded it to the yoke. This would be the spline after the front U-joint. I don’t think this has caused this problem. I have been reading where air pressure in tires can cause a popping sound when using the 4 wheel drive. I’m checking tire inflation also tomorrow. I think they recommend 12 in front and 24 in rear. I know I have been running tire pressure even in front and rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts