Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 UPS presents today. First box, my new passenger backrest:) . Got it on in no time and all is good:biggrin: .

Second box, my heated grips:-D . So out I go to remove my OEM grips and WTF:confused: . How do you get the Handle bar grip end off. I've tried unscrewing the screw on the end cap but it won't budge. I've used 3 different screw drivers and no luck. Even tried the old trick of turning the screw driver using a wrench. So before I make myself a screwdriver to drink, please help me.

Turns out I don't have any Vodka:( so I may have to settle for a margarita:tongue:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please tell me that this isn't as simple as the end caps being LH threads that I have now seriously tightened. Can't be that, can it?????

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wish I could help, haven't changed mine yet but would love to see how it goes so when mine come in I'll have the heads up. Your first post was pretty darn funny though, thanks for the laugh.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mike, I'm not sure if I understand the question. Are these stock grips you're trying to remove? If so, I had the same problem with my V2K and actually had to use vice grips because of the adhesive the factory uses. But it was only on the clutch side. The throttle side was not a problem.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, I'm not sure if I understand the question. Are these stock grips you're trying to remove? If so, I had the same problem with my V2K and actually had to use vice grips because of the adhesive the factory uses. But it was only on the clutch side. The throttle side was not a problem.
Yep, stock grips on my 500. Seems they are RH threads, but are put on with a serious glue. Looks like I just need to get a blunt end phillips and vice grips and keep at it. Anyone have a 500lb gorilla they can loan me???:tongue:

My fear is stripping the screw before I get it out. Well, we got a couple more days in the 70s :biggrin: before the cold returns, so hopefully I'll get it finished before then.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The Nomad grips are LH thread. Dunno about the 500.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If U're trying to remove the phillips head screw from the end of the handle bars.. Kawasaki thread locks them lots of times.. Try an Impact screwdriver.. the tool that U hit with a hammer.. turn the screw counter-clock wize..

If U're trying to remove the grips.. Use a air hose with a blow nozzle on the end.. place the end of the blow nozzle under the grip.. this kinda blows the grip up like a balloon.. while U're blowing the grip.. with the other hand.. slide the grip off.. this will keep from cutting the grips off.. if U ever wish to re-use them..

Hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: impact driver did the trick and the grips are off They are RH threads). I installed the new heated grips but still have some finish work to do in the morning. The only hard part with the new grips was needing to grind down the ribs on the throttle sleeve.

I do have a question. I still need to glue the left grip and was wondering what glue would be good to use. I want to be able to remove the grip without damage in the future. I know that many of you have used Gorilla Glue, but that seems to be pretty permanent. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the grips heat up nicely. After I finish the install tomorrow I paln on giving them a good test. It is only suppose to be in the 40s tomorrow and my ride to work Monday morning is going to be around 25F.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Update: impact driver did the trick and the grips are off They are RH threads). I installed the new heated grips but still have some finish work to do in the morning. The only hard part with the new grips was needing to grind down the ribs on the throttle sleeve.

I do have a question. I still need to glue the left grip and was wondering what glue would be good to use. I want to be able to remove the grip without damage in the future. I know that many of you have used Gorilla Glue, but that seems to be pretty permanent. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the grips heat up nicely. After I finish the install tomorrow I paln on giving them a good test. It is only suppose to be in the 40s tomorrow and my ride to work Monday morning is going to be around 25F.
3M makes a weatherstrip adhesive that is clear.. they have it in black and yellow also.. lots of folks refer to the yellow as gorilla glue.. the same yellow glue used to glue lug nuts onto wheels in NASCAR..

This adhesive is kinda permanent.. which is what U would want so U're grips don't turn.. but the adhesive stays plyable.. and can be fairly easy to remove the grips for future use.. I personally have used the 3M for years..

Another alternative would be super glue.. but I perfer the 3M.. especially with U're heated grips.. the 3M is for higher temp use.. one can purchase this at Advance Auto and other parts stores..

To remove the grips.. use the air hose trick.. mentioned in my earlier post..

Hope this helps..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts